Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iOS App Store Spending Grew 20% YoY to $18 Billion in Q3 2020

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Mobile app spending among consumers in the third quarter of 2020 saw a 20 percent year-on-year increase as well as a surge in time spent in apps, according to a new report from App Annie (via TechCrunch).

Smartphone and tablet users downloaded 33 billion new apps globally and spent a record $28 billion in apps, over a period in which consumers' lives were heavily impacted by lockdowns and social distancing measures in response to the ongoing global health crisis.

Users also spent over 180 billion collective hours using apps every month over July, August and September, which is a 25 percent increase year-over-year.

Downloads from the Google Play Store increased 10 percent year-on-year and accounted for 25 billion of the total 33 billion new downloads across the quarter. Meanwhile, iOS accounted for nearly 9 billion downloads, an increase of 20 percent year-on-year. Non-gaming apps on Google Play accounted for 55 percent of those downloads, while on iOS it accounted for 70 percent of downloads.

The top two markets by downloads on iOS was the U.S. and China, with India and South Korea also seeing significant growth. Games, Photo and Video, and Entertainment were the top download categories for five straight quarters and the top categories by consumer spend.

On iOS, app spending grew 20 percent year-on-year to $18 billion, while Google Play saw a 35 percent year-on-year increase to over $10 billion. An increase in subscriptions also saw non-gaming apps account for 35 percent of that spend on iOS and 20 percent on Google Play. The U.S. and Japan were the top markets for consumer app spending across both stores.

In terms of monthly active users, Facebook took the No. 1 through No. 4 positions for Facebook, WhatsApp, Messenger and Instagram, respectively. The next most used apps were Amazon, Twitter, Netflix, Spotify, TikTok and then Telegram. Meanwhile highest consumer spend was in Tinder, followed by TikTok, YouTube, and Disney+.

The App Annie report largely mirrors a Sensor Tower report released earlier this month that found Apple's App Store earned twice as much as the Google Play Store over the third quarter.

Article Link: iOS App Store Spending Grew 20% YoY to $18 Billion in Q3 2020

Reactions: bb9

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I find it interesting that I’ve seen Tinder top these charts for the past few months and I haven’t seen a single article that talks about it.

We see articles about Facebook, WhatsApp, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok pretty regularly because those are supposedly the dominant apps... but Tinder is at the top of the list, so I feel like I should know more about it than I do...

Comment

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Sounds like a good thing for both developers and Apple. As more business move to remote moving forward (mine is, $15B company, 10,000+ employees), I anticipate this trend to continue.

Comment

MartyvH

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2017
Oh, I thought there was a backlash from consumers about Apple's oIl bArOn mOnoPoLy.

Comment

macaron95

macrumors regular
May 5, 2014
So Epic Games has been making a lot of money thanks to the app store...

everybody wins... the problem is that they don't want to share any piece of the cake anymore...

Comment

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Im surprised Facebook is still so actively used. Most folks I know barely use it, most are on instagram or Tik Tok

Reactions: Glideslope
Comment

involuntarheely

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2019
To all who say Apple and Google don’t have market power and many other stores exist with the same policies: so why do you think these other stores were left off of this analysis?

Reactions: PC_tech
Comment

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2002
but Tinder is at the top of the list, so I feel like I should know more about it than I do...
Where have you been living over the past years? Everybody (in the market) uses it or has used it, and everybody is talking about it, whether you are single or not.

Comment

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
So Epic Games has been making a lot of money thanks to the app store...

everybody wins... the problem is that they don't want to share any piece of the cake anymore...
Epic Games? What does that issue have to do with this story?
Im surprised Facebook is still so actively used. Most folks I know barely use it, most are on instagram or Tik Tok
IG and Tik Tok skew towards the younger demographic. Perhaps that colors your perception of Facebook.

Comment

Cosmosent

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
Transparency is the ONLY way to know for sure.

Specifically, New Antritrust Law that forces AAPL to disclose per-Qtr, per-Category Revenue Numbers for at least the iOS App Store here in the States !

And, covering the entire 10 year plus history of the iOS App Store !!

Such transparency would go a long ways to providing App Devs with the same privileged data that Apple's Upper Mgmt has had, & could use for planning purposes !!!

Reactions: GeoStructural
Comment

bransoj

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2013
Unless i missed it, it doesnt appear to mention how much of it is from in app purchases which seem to be all over the shop now for things like removing ads or even monthly subscriptions just to have access to an iOS widget and thats before to get to the eye watering amounts you can spend on stuff in games if you arent careful.

Comment

I7guy

macrumors Penryn
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Transparency is the ONLY way to know for sure.

Specifically, New Antritrust Law that forces AAPL to disclose per-Qtr, per-Category Revenue Numbers for at least the iOS App Store here in the States !

And, covering the entire 10 year plus history of the iOS App Store !!

Such transparency would go a long ways to providing App Devs with the same privileged data that Apple's Upper Mgmt has had, & could use for planning purposes !!!
Not going to happen. It's like saying a vendor that supplies product to Walmart is privvy to their (Walmart) financials. There will not be that type of antitrust law, because 1) it's overreaching and 2) it will probably be found to illegal by SCOTUS.

Reactions: Stevez67
Comment

bb9

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2017

Mobile app spending among consumers in the third quarter of 2020 saw a 20 percent year-on-year increase as well as a surge in time spent in apps, according to a new report from App Annie (via TechCrunch).

Smartphone and tablet users downloaded 33 billion new apps globally and spent a record $28 billion in apps, over a period in which consumers' lives were heavily impacted by lockdowns and social distancing measures in response to the ongoing global health crisis.

Users also spent over 180 billion collective hours using apps every month over July, August and September, which is a 25 percent increase year-over-year.

Downloads from the Google Play Store increased 10 percent year-on-year and accounted for 25 billion of the total 33 billion new downloads across the quarter. Meanwhile, iOS accounted for nearly 9 billion downloads, an increase of 20 percent year-on-year. Non-gaming apps on Google Play accounted for 55 percent of those downloads, while on iOS it accounted for 70 percent of downloads.

The top two markets by downloads on iOS was the U.S. and China, with India and South Korea also seeing significant growth. Games, Photo and Video, and Entertainment were the top download categories for five straight quarters and the top categories by consumer spend.

On iOS, app spending grew 20 percent year-on-year to $18 billion, while Google Play saw a 35 percent year-on-year increase to over $10 billion. An increase in subscriptions also saw non-gaming apps account for 35 percent of that spend on iOS and 20 percent on Google Play. The U.S. and Japan were the top markets for consumer app spending across both stores.

In terms of monthly active users, Facebook took the No. 1 through No. 4 positions for Facebook, WhatsApp, Messenger and Instagram, respectively. The next most used apps were Amazon, Twitter, Netflix, Spotify, TikTok and then Telegram. Meanwhile highest consumer spend was in Tinder, followed by TikTok, YouTube, and Disney+.

The App Annie report largely mirrors a Sensor Tower report released earlier this month that found Apple's App Store earned twice as much as the Google Play Store over the third quarter.

Article Link: iOS App Store Spending Grew 20% YoY to $18 Billion in Q3 2020
And yet, Apple charges the same 30% that both google and Microsoft charges.

Comment

CarlJ

macrumors 603
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
These types of reports highlight the schism between what tech forum people think of Facebook (me included) and what the general public thinks of Facebook. Their products are absolutely dominant. Jeebus.
Because people on tech forums have a clue what Facebook’s technology is doing. Most people just think of FaceBook as a way to talk with people who agree with them and rant about people they don’t like.

Comment

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Because people on tech forums have a clue what Facebook’s technology is doing. Most people just think of FaceBook as a way to talk with people who agree with them and rant about people they don’t like.
Apathy. I think most people are just apathetic to Facebook's actions because those actions don't affect them in a material way. Privacy is a primary concern on tech forums. It doesn't articulate well in the real world. Unfortunately, part of that lack of articulation is most privacy advocates inability to convey the message properly.
Take our forum for example. Mention privacy in conjunction with FB or Google or any company not Apple and inevitably, 99.99999999999999999999999999%* of the time the only thing privacy advocates cling to is "They use your data to sell ads". Worse they don't even say that. The vast majority, or 98.761668445746578464%** of the 99.99999999999999999999999999%, use these exact words when they describe selling ad slots based on anonymized data: "Hurr, durr, they sell your data" (Yes, hurr, durr is always included***. Look it up ;) ).

Experience on this forum and others says people that frequent tech forums have no more clue about privacy than the average person on FB. They just place more importance on it than regular folk. But until they can articulate a danger beyond ads based on your interest, FB and companies like them are going to keep giving people the free services they desire in exchange for the people's data the companies desire.

* data pulled from thin air
** data pulled from even thinner air
*** FACTS

Comment

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
And as a developer, it's becoming harder and harder to be seen on the store ... even when focusing on the quality of apps.
:confused:

I guess it’s unavoidable when there are too many apps in the App Store. It’s no different from looking for something to buy on Amazon, or finding something to listen to on Spotify. People have more options than ever before, and it’s now a fight for their time and attention.

For me, I relied heavily on Macstories to surface useful apps for me, and I still do (via their newsletter). It’s still possible to market yourself, you just can’t expect to release and app and hope for customers to flock to your app on their own.

Comment

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
To all who say Apple and Google don’t have market power and many other stores exist with the same policies: so why do you think these other stores were left off of this analysis?

Because they are not in the limelight like Apple is, and everyone wants a piece of Apple because that’s where the best customers are.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.