Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
Hi all

I have recently encountered Apple using blackmail regarding App updates due to a single pending purchase. Apple see fit for some odd reason to lock out all updates of all other non-related applications including Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram etc. Why is this so as this seems immoral an unethical. It's akin to me refusing to let a car owner drive their car unless a certain brand of petrol is used otherwise the car is locked down.

To make things more interesting, when you are notified you need to update your payment information on the IOS device you are told nothing about the pending purchase and the amount. You have to login to iTunes on a computer to find out the issue - that too is unacceptable. it's as if they want to hide any pending purchases so they are not visible on iOS devices - seems very odd.

If the update was related to the pending purchase then maybe this would be fine, but to effectively "lock out" all other updates on any iOS device linked to the same account is blackmail and under Common Law and ACCC here in Australia would be highly frowned upon. They could easily modify the App Store to allow all other updates except the pending purchased one and when the purchase cleared, the update would occur.

I have submitted this to the ACCC for a full investigation.

Last edited:

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Please describe what you mean by pending purchase. I don't even know what that is. When I buy a app, the purchase happens instantly.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Personally, I think you are making way too much of this.
But yes, please describe in more detail what is actually taking place with your purchase. It sounds like you tried to make a purchase with your payment details needing an update, so the purchase didn't go through (and apparently prevented other updates). I would think this is a way of Apple verifying your Apple ID is in the right hands. Simply updating your payment details and completing the purchase should set things right, no?

And using terms like "blackmail" and "hiding pending purchases" seems to be a bit over the top.

Last edited:

digitalexplr

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2016
Central Missouri
Hi all

I have recently encountered Apple using blackmail regarding App updates. Example if I purchase an App for any amount and that purchase is pending. Apple see fit for some odd reason to lock out all updates of all other non-related applications including Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram etc. Why is this so as this seems immoral an unethical. It's akin to me refusing to let a car owner drive their car unless a certain brand of petrol is used otherwise the car is locked down.

To make things more interesting, when you are notified you need to update your payment information on the IOS device you are told nothing about the pending purchase and the amount. You have to login to iTunes on a computer to find out the issue - that too is unacceptable. it's as if they want to hide any pending purchases so they are not visible on iOS devices - seems very odd.

If the update was related to the pending purchase then maybe this would be fine, but to effectively "lock out" all other updates on any iOS device linked to the same account is blackmail and under Common Law and ACCC here in Australia would be highly frowned upon. They could easily modify the App Store to allow all other updates except the pending purchased one and when the purchase cleared, the update would occur.

Have no idea what you are referring to. What is a “pending purchase”?

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Hi all

I have recently encountered Apple using blackmail regarding App updates. Example if I purchase an App for any amount and that purchase is pending. Apple see fit for some odd reason to lock out all updates of all other non-related applications including Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram etc. Why is this so as this seems immoral an unethical. It's akin to me refusing to let a car owner drive their car unless a certain brand of petrol is used otherwise the car is locked down.

Woh, slow down there, hoss! That's a pretty torturous leap you're making there. If, what I'm getting is right, your AppStore on your device is blocking you from downloading updates until this 'pending purchase' (which seemingly has many of us confused as to what it is) is completed. That right? If so, I'm not seeing anything 'illegal' going on here - in fact it sounds like there may be a bloody good reason for it and that your Apple account has an issue.

Good luck with the ACCC there - I'm sure however you'll get exactly nowhere fast since you are being exceptionally emotive ("blackmail" - really?) and the ACCC is by all accounts just as weak and ineffective as most governmental consumer oversight and regulatory authorities.

In addition unless you can show a consistent pattern of illegal abuse they'll totally ignore you and not even respond.

Reactions: AnaliseLorraine19

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
Excellent choice of word you used there. So you spoke to Apple Support in resolving your issue before bluntly blame them? Possibility, there is a problem with your payment card which normally why there are pending purchases and pending app download. When you log into iTunes, what exactly was the issue you notice? Sometimes, this happens whenever you sign into a new device where a prompt might appear asking to update or confirm payment (CVC code) possibly for security reason. You might try changing payment to another valid debit or credit card.

Last edited:

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Okay, OP seems to be ranting - but I will attempt to clean it up because I have experienced something similar.

I made a purchase on the App Store, but my credit card was expired. I forgot to update the new CC information on my Apple ID. When that happens, your entire account goes into "suspension" until you change the payment method and the payment goes through. This is neither immoral or unethical. You made a purchase without the ability to pay for it, thus your account is suspended until you pay for what you already have received. Its a way to hold YOU accountable and not trying to rip off Apple. It is very smart on their behalf to do this. Don't make purchases that you cannot cover with your payment method. Simple has that - fully your responsibility. So do not go around calling Apple immoral or unethical for your unethical behavior of making a purchase with a faulty payment method.

It is not blackmail and it is not extortion, and surely will not fall under Australian common law. You are entirely at fault. Update your payment method and read Apple ID/App Store/iTunes Terms and Conditions - its outlined in there.

Its truly amazing how people cannot read terms and conditions before submitting false reports for investigations. People need to be held accountable for their actions instead of passing the blame.

larrylaffer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2009
Los Angeles
I made a purchase on the App Store, but my credit card was expired.

That purchase should have never gone through then. Nor should it be pending. It should simply be as if it never have occurred. If I go to a market and try to buy a sack of Apples, and my CC is invalid, they don't give me the sack of Apples. It's not rocket science.

I disagree with the practice of putting one's account into limbo over an expired credit card. This has happened to friends of mine and the process for fixing it is overly frustrating, especially when you want to install a free update to a free app that you already "own".

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
That purchase should have never gone through then. Nor should it be pending. It should simply be as if it never have occurred. If I go to a market and try to buy a sack of Apples, and my CC is invalid, they don't give me the sack of Apples. It's not rocket science.

I disagree with the practice of putting one's account into limbo over an expired credit card. This has happened to friends of mine and the process for fixing it is overly frustrating, especially when you want to install a free update to a free app that you already "own".

iTunes purchases are not charged immediately. They are charged in batches to prevent multiple charges on your credit card. If you view your order history, you will see up to 10 purchases per transaction. It’s to keep it manageable.

You can disagree with it all you want. Apple can legally do this and they do so. Apple is entitled to what you owe them. End of story.

Without suspending your account there is no way for them to get the money.

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011

You don't "own" any of the apps you download, paid or free.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
...It's akin to me refusing to let a car owner drive their car unless a certain brand of petrol is used otherwise the car is locked down....

No it isn't. Not at all. That analogy is fundamentally flawed.

The apps with pending updates still function (you can drive the car), you simply can't update them.

Oh and this isn't new, its worked this way as long as I can remember, several years at least. Fix your CC issue and move on.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
I’m having the same issue. It’s nothing with pending purchases or credit card, I did redo my card information but some apps just won’t update, others do.

Attachments

• 4A8B92DF-E5E4-4E1C-9053-EDDC9F6DB883.png
    4A8B92DF-E5E4-4E1C-9053-EDDC9F6DB883.png
    651.1 KB · Views: 715

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
I was told to go into iTunes on my mac and there is still a pending charge on my account and yes the card numbers and account are correct. However as stated why can't Apple prevent any updates to the pending purchase App and let other updates which are free and non-related go through as normal. Why do they block all App updates because of one App when they are not related to each other. To add insult to injury on my iPhone when it says to update the payment information it does not display why updates are not being allowed - it says press "Continue" when there is only an OK button but nothing happens beyond that point.

Apple admitted to me they cannot change anything to allow updates to continue except for the pending one. Blackmail / Coercion is illegal under Common Law which this is tantamount too forcing a user to wait for a pending charge to clear or no apps get updated at all. Why should a pending purchase block all other non-related App updates? Terms and conditions cannot override Common Law, especially Commercial Law.
[doublepost=1520454299][/doublepost]
No it isn't. Not at all. That analogy is fundamentally flawed.

The apps with pending updates still function (you can drive the car), you simply can't update them.

Oh and this isn't new, its worked this way as long as I can remember, several years at least. Fix your CC issue and move on.

Apple should not be stopping non-related app updates from going through as normal especially when these apps are not related to the pending purchase. Under Commonwealth Law this is classed as coercion - being blocked from updating other apps which are free, because one paid app is still pending. That is immoral and unethical. It's akin to me blocking you from using your own car unless you buy a certain brand of petrol and spending a set amount on petrol before you can drive it.
[doublepost=1520454449][/doublepost]
I’m having the same issue. It’s nothing with pending purchases or credit card, I did redo my card information but some apps just won’t update, others do.

I chatted to AppleCare support and they indicate they cannot do anything. I saved the chat transcript as proof for the ACCC. Again other apps should not be blocked from updating when they are not related to the pending app purchase. Why would be so hard to prevent pending app updates and let the rest go through normally (I suggested this) - it's not rocket science. This is immoral and unethical as its a heavy handed approach which does not need to be used.
[doublepost=1520454609][/doublepost]
iTunes purchases are not charged immediately. They are charged in batches to prevent multiple charges on your credit card. If you view your order history, you will see up to 10 purchases per transaction. It’s to keep it manageable.

You can disagree with it all you want. Apple can legally do this and they do so. Apple is entitled to what you owe them. End of story.Without suspending your account there is no way for them to get the money.

Again a pending paid purchase should not disallow other non-related free apps from updating - why is this so hard for people to understand - its common sense - these other free apps having nothing to do with the pending app and not hard to stop pending app updates and allow the rest to continue as normal without the lockdown. Seems overly heavy handed.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
It's akin to me blocking you from using your own car unless you buy a certain brand of petrol and spending a set amount on petrol before you can drive it.

Last time. No. It. Isn't. 2nd silly and flawed analogy.

You can still USE those Apps, you just can't update them.

Good luck with "Commonwealth Law" whatever that is (I'm not even sure the Commonwealth is a single legal jurisdiction.

Really, you could have just updated your CC by now. Or applied to Apple support to remove the pending transaction as a mistake and move on with these oh-so-critical updates to these Apps...that don't stop you using them.

Oh and you clearly don't understand the meanings of either blackmail (Apple are not trying to reveal compromising information), or coercion (they aren't using force or threats - nearest is you have stalled a legal transaction by (cough) <failing to pay>

[doublepost=1520454746][/doublepost]

Your issue may be nothing to do with an expired card or no funds in the account but IF you do have an expired card or the transaction stays pending because of no funds then the App Store DOES prevent further downloads and hence you can't get App updates.

Last edited:

larrylaffer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2009
Los Angeles

Pre-authorizing charges without actually making said charges is a very old concept that every single ACH member and credit card provider is required to support. That is clearly not being put to use here, and would provide a simple solution to a silly problem.

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
Last time. No. It. Isn't. 2nd silly and flawed analogy.

You can still USE those Apps, you just can't update them.

Good luck with "Commonwealth Law" whatever that is (I'm not even sure the Commonwealth is a single legal jurisdiction.

Really, you could have just updated your CC by now. Or applied to Apple support to remove the pending transaction as a mistake and move on with these oh-so-critical updates to these Apps...that don't stop you using them.

Oh and you clearly don't understand the meanings of either blackmail (Apple are not trying to reveal compromising information), or coercion (they aren't using force or threats - nearest is you have stalled a legal transaction by (cough) <failing to pay>

[doublepost=1520454746][/doublepost]

Your issue may be nothing to do with an expired card or no funds in the account but IF you do have an expired card or the transaction stays pending because of no funds then the App Store DOES prevent further downloads and hence you can't get App updates.

Again I should not be blocked from updating non-related apps because a subscription charge is still pending - this is morally and unethically wrong and against laws here in the Commonwealth of Australia and Australian Consumer Law. I have already notified the ACCC (Australian Consumer and Competition Commission) regarding this unacceptable matter. I should still be allowed to update all other apps that are not part of the subscription purchase. I checked my bank account and there is no negative values - it's in credit.

My card has not expired and is current. I should be able to update anything as normal no issues, but typical apple use coercion to stop this. Not very professional and not very customer-centric. Why in the world would Apple prevent further updates which are free and not associated with - its' not logical. Now if any update was relating to a pending app purchase that make some sense. As for Terms and Conditions, this cannot override State / Commonwealth Law as they are blanket agreements.

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
Which law? Link please?

What is the “Commonwealth of Australia”???

LOL - the fact is I have been restricted from updating non-related apps because a subscription is pending - this does not make sense and should not be allowed to occur. If updates are not going through because of the app purchase / subscription itself is pending that's fine but how on earth does this affect all my other free apps from updating.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
LOL - the fact is I have been restricted from updating non-related apps because a subscription is pending - this does not make sense and should not be allowed to occur. If updates are not going through because of the app purchase / subscription itself is pending that's fine but how on earth does this affect all my other free apps from updating.
My guess is fraud. There was an error with your payment information. The system locks up to prevent fraudulent activity on your account of any kind. Making unauthorized purchases and updates (free or paid). Using your payment method without permission etc.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Again I should not be blocked from updating non-related apps because a subscription charge is still pending - this is morally and unethically wrong and against laws here in the Commonwealth of Australia and Australian Consumer Law. I have already notified the ACCC (Australian Consumer and Competition Commission) regarding this unacceptable matter. I should still be allowed to update all other apps that are not part of the subscription purchase. I checked my bank account and there is no negative values - it's in credit.

My card has not expired and is current. I should be able to update anything as normal no issues, but typical apple use coercion to stop this. Not very professional and not very customer-centric. Why in the world would Apple prevent further updates which are free and not associated with - its' not logical. Now if any update was relating to a pending app purchase that make some sense. As for Terms and Conditions, this cannot override State / Commonwealth Law as they are blanket agreements.

You can 'notify' them until the cows come home. The chances of them even responding further than a form letter is as remote as a cattle ranch is in deepest Oz...

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008

READ THE TERMS. Seriously. Wake up and stop calling it morally and ethically wrong. You AGREED when you selected “I agree”. It’s written in there. As clear as day. Stop complaining. You agreed. They can do it. You could have not agreed and returned your iPhone. End of story. Seriously. No one forced you to agree. You chose to.

When you agree to terms and conditions, it supersedes all applicable laws. Because you are agreeing, you are waiving the right To be protected by those laws. Take a contracts law course, maybe then you will understand.
[doublepost=1520520379][/doublepost]
My guess is fraud. There was an error with your payment information. The system locks up to prevent fraudulent activity on your account of any kind. Making unauthorized purchases and updates (free or paid). Using your payment method without permission etc.
Yep. That’s exactly what I said. The OP completely ignored it. The OP clearly has zero idea how the law actually works and just wants to make a big deal out of nothing.
[doublepost=1520520440][/doublepost]
For the 4th time. Terms and Conditions. Read and educate yourself. Next time don’t agree without reading.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017

Now, here's what you DON'T seem to have grasped. This is what YOU agreed to:

Apple further reserves the right to modify, suspend, or discontinue the Services (or any part or Content thereof) at any time with or without notice to you and, to the full extent permitted by law, Apple will not be liable to you or to any third party should it exercise such rights. Termination will not affect the products that you have already acquired. However, you may be unable to authorize additional computers to use such products. You may cease to use the Service at any time.

and...

APPLE DOES NOT GUARANTEE, REPRESENT, OR WARRANT THAT YOUR USE OF THE SERVICES WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR-FREE, AND YOU AGREE THAT FROM TIME TO TIME APPLE MAY REMOVE THE SERVICES FOR INDEFINITE PERIODS OF TIME, CANCEL THE SERVICES AT ANY TIME, OR OTHERWISE LIMIT OR DISABLE YOUR ACCESS TO THE SERVICES WITHOUT NOTICE TO YOU, WHERE REASONABLY NECESSARY TO PROTECT APPLE'S LEGITIMATE INTERESTS.

YOU agreed to these terms and - as long as they do not run contrary to basic laws in the Commonwealth then are applicable so - unless you can provide the EXACT statutes you KNOW have been broken in New South Wales Law (which, let's face it, you don't given that you're accusing Apple of Blackmail and Coercion - both terms are totally invalid in this case) then you're just ranting.

Anyone can submit a complaint to the ACCC for any reason at all. However you submitting a case and them even bothering to read it are two totally different things. And if you accused Apple of Blackmail and Coercion in your complaint then there's a better than even chance that they'd throw it out without even looking at it given the highly emotive position you've taken.

Listen, if you want to argue a case in law, then point to us the act in question that you feel protects you. Keep on this whining and ranting and your posts will be treated with the level of contempt they've currently been given.

And, if it turns out this whole issue can be fixed just by following instructions and updating your account then you've lost on every single point - both moral and legal.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Now, here's what you DON'T seem to have grasped. This is what YOU agreed to:

and...

YOU agreed to these terms and - as long as they do not run contrary to basic laws in the Commonwealth then are applicable so - unless you can provide the EXACT statutes you KNOW have been broken in New South Wales Law (which, let's face it, you don't given that you're accusing Apple of Blackmail and Coercion - both terms are totally invalid in this case) then you're just ranting.

Anyone can submit a complaint to the ACCC for any reason at all. However you submitting a case and them even bothering to read it are two totally different things. And if you accused Apple of Blackmail and Coercion in your complaint then there's a better than even chance that they'd throw it out without even looking at it given the highly emotive position you've taken.

Listen, if you want to argue a case in law, then point to us the act in question that you feel protects you. Keep on this whining and ranting and your posts will be treated with the level of contempt they've currently been given.

And, if it turns out this whole issue can be fixed just by following instructions and updating your account then you've lost on every single point - both moral and legal.

He can’t argue a case in law. He waived his right by agreeing. End of story. Literally. You only have rights until you agree to the terms and conditions that the company imposed. By agreeing, he has to do abide by whatever the terms explicitly state. There is no way to opt out once you agree. You cannot revoke the waiver of agreeing.

I bet you there is a forum selection clause in the terms and conditions, meaning the only place that he could sue Apple is in the jurisdiction that the terms state. Probably a federal district court in either Eastern Texas or Northern CA.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
He can’t argue a case in law. He waived his right by agreeing. End of story. Literally. You only have rights until you agree to the terms and conditions that the company imposed. By agreeing, he has to do abide by whatever the terms explicitly state. There is no way to opt out once you agree. You cannot revoke the waiver of agreeing.

I bet you there is a forum selection clause in the terms and conditions, meaning the only place that he could sue Apple is in the jurisdiction that the terms state. Probably a federal district court in either Eastern Texas or Northern CA.

It's actually New South Wales for Australia. Unlike the OP who preferred to spending their time whining about this, I actually spent time researching and looking things up.

Guess some people like to take action and educate ourselves, and other's just like to pout and whine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.