Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rafagon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 19, 2011
Miami, FL
From what I understand, iOS apps run natively on M1 Macs. Could someone share a screenshot of an iOS app running on an M1 Mac?

Also, it would stand to reason that native M1 Mac apps would also run on iPhones. Is this true?

Reactions: jazz1

Train

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2012
Germany
It is possible to run iOS apps natively on M1 Macs, but the developers can opt out. The majority of developers seems to have done that, so the most popular iOS apps are not availiable in the App Store (e.g. all Google apps, Facebook, Instagram, ...).

Here's one of the few apps I found, the all-time classic "Crossy Road". It's featured on the Mac App Store in the "iOS apps on macOS"-story. iOS apps run in windowed mode on the Mac. "Crossy road" is optimized for iPad, so a real iPhone-only app would run in an even smaller window.

I have no idea if it is possible to run M1 Mac apps on iPhones, perhaps someone will find a way to do so, but it isn't possible out of the box.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-18 um 23.43.03.png

Reactions: Rafagon

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
You can get around the apps that aren't available to go on a Mac, if you using an app like iMazing. I got some apps working. Haven't played around enough to decide if it's worth it, though. Instagram, for instance, is worthless to use on a Mac. It doesn't resize and is just so small. I think that will be the case with many of them.

Reactions: Mr. Awesome

Zazoh

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Dumb Question: I looked for 10 min to find Mobile Apps in the App Store. Is that were we officially download them. I'm not a fan of side loading.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Some iPad apps are *TERRIBLE* to use. The interface isn't rendered right, controls overlapping each other.

Others work perfectly.

The Mac App Store is where you download them. I haven't found a way to "browse for iPhone/iPad apps", but if you go to your account, and look at purchased apps, you can select the "iPhone/iPad" tab to see ones you've already purchased. If you search for an app, you can change the results to show iPhone/iPad, too.

But note that not all iOS apps can be downloaded to macOS. Some developers have blocked it. As someone else mentioned, there are apps to download them off your iPad/iPhone and then you just run them on the Mac.

Reactions: Zazoh

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Dumb Question: I looked for 10 min to find Mobile Apps in the App Store. Is that were we officially download them. I'm not a fan of side loading.

If you go to the Mac App Store and use the search bar, then in search results you can click the tab for iPhone and iPad apps. Not very intuitive - Hopefully Apple will add a dedicated browse option in the future.
Screenshot 2020-11-19 at 22.31.21.png

Reactions: Zazoh

julieknits

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2010
Overcast is the only iOS app that I’ve been running so far on my M1 MacBook Pro. It syncs my podcasts as well as how far I am through them.

Reactions: DrSarah
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.