iOS apps saved on macOS

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Benito, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Benito, Sep 27, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2016

Benito macrumors 6502

Benito

I was looking at Storage Manager in Sierra and noticed that I have all my iOS apps saved to my macOS SSD. Is there any reason to have the apps saved to Sierra? Can I delete the iOS apps from Sierra to save a ton of space? If this is OK to do, how can I stop iTunes from saving the iOS apps again in the future to iTunes?

The apps end of using quite a bit of storage and it would be nice to know that I can delete them and open up a fair amount of space on my SSD.

2. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

Have you previously synced your iOS device(s) with iTunes? If you have the iCloud backup turned on you can safely delete the apps from your Mac.

3. Benito thread starter macrumors 6502

Benito

4. KALLT macrumors 601

In that case, you need to keep them. Restoring with iTunes will always sync back the apps from your library.

5. Benito thread starter macrumors 6502

Benito

OK, so iTunes needs to keep the app files when you sync with iTunes. I wasn't sure about this, thanks for the information.

6. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

Well, how would you restore your apps while not backing up to iCloud and not having them on the Mac at the same time? It's either one or the other.