iOS Backdoor?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by definitive, Jan 8, 2012.

1. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

saw this on slashdot:

http://apple.slashdot.org/story/12/...o-says-apple-provides-backdoor-to-governments

2. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Dones tin hat

"back door brides?"

Removes tin hat.

3. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I have read some of the facts supporting this. It wouldn't surprise me.

4. darngooddesign macrumors G3

5. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

Unless you have something to hide, you have nothing to worry about.

6. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Darngooddesign States: "The NSA has access in this country."

Proof, please.

I am far from a fan of NSA (or any other three letter organization with insufficient oversight). However, it seems that absolutely any spying ability can be attributed to NSA and everyone goes "Yup, sure they can do that".

I'm not saying they can't, and I realize that their level of secrecy makes SOLID evidence difficult to gather, but it is too easy to say "NSA" and have everybody nod assent.

I don't mean to be naive - but some evidence (aside from a simple assertion "the NSA does it") would be appreciated.

7. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Having nothing to hide ≠ open permission for governments to openly spy on its citizens.

If you're that sure about it, start posting your personal emails and voicemails on here.

8. turtle777 macrumors 6502a

It would not be out of the question that Apple would create a special version for iOS in India to allow a backdoor.

However, I doubt it will (has) happen in the US. If anyone ever found out, the repetitional damage would be huge. Plus, I really don't see how that kind of backdoor is in accordance with current US law.
    However, that might change, since this kind of government snooping might just be the next step after NDAA.

-t

9. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Like the damage AT&T suffered after allowing NSA access to all incoming/outgoing data and calls with no compelling warrant? Yeah, no one cared, just like the people who think that it's fine for the government to monitor your communications. Unfortunately, people like that are the reason we're heading for a society with little to no civil liberties. Enjoy it, you're all creating it.

10. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

That statement displays a woefully simplistic understanding of the protection of personal rights to privacy.

By that logic, the FBI could come and break down your door at 3:00 in the morning and drag you and your family out of bed, transport you to the local FBI headquarters and question you. You have nothing to hide, so you need not worry because when you get there you just tell them the truth and they send you home.

Overly dramatic? I know, from personal knowledge, that exactly such events occurred when Hoover was in charge. And the folks subjected to this unconstitutional violation of rights had nothing to hide. (Sorry, I don't mean to sound like a drama queen, but the quote above indicates dangerous ignorance.)

Person freedom and privacy is a Constitutionally protected right. Allowing violations of that protection with the rationale "if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to worry about" is the slippery slope to fascistic erosion, and ultimate deprivation, of freedom and privacy.

Holy crap, what a rant! Sorry if that got a little out of hand, but the ignorance displayed in the quote above is frightening to those of us who have seen the consequences of such an attitude.

11. turtle777 macrumors 6502a

You are right, many people don't care about government intrusion and loss of liberties. They just vote for whoever hands out the most goodies.

Btw, the NSA / AT&T incident was in 2007.
    I'd reckon that even if they tried today, the data to be monitored is SO huge, they'd have a hard time to stay on tp. Not saying I wouldn't care, but there is also natural limits to what anyone trying to monitor EVERYTHING can do.

-t

12. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

reminds me of a song from The Family Guy about his own TV station & censorship(FCC?)

13. darngooddesign macrumors G3

It was in the news two or so years ago about the NSA occupying ATT switching stations, and having packet inspection level access to ATT's data streams.

Just google under NSA warrant less wiretapping.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/239122/nsa_atandt_warrantless_wiretapping_case_set_for_court.html

I'm not a tin foil hatter, it's something t hat did and does happen.

14. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

15. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Lest you think it's just AT&T ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSA_call_database

QWest was the one company that reportedly not only said "No", but "NO". (see the Wiki article).

MOD HAT ON: Let's try to keep this thread out of PRSI. Keep politics, candidates and parties out of it or next stop is in PRSI.

B

16. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

My bad...sorry.:eek:

17. Stella, Jan 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2012

Stella macrumors 604

Stella

This is exactly what Politicians say, however when the tables are turned, this assertion doesn't apply to them.

A good example: their annual expense claims.

18. gladoscc macrumors 6502

I've set up Wireshack on my iPhone 4S running iOS 5.0.1. So far I sent a few emails containing words like "terrorism" and "bomb", and I haven't noticed anything suspicious.. the iPhone does contact apple servers pretty frequently, but it seems to be for notifications

19. old-wiz macrumors G3

Governments can go after you for political opinions they don't like. Do you support Occupy Wal Street or some other group? They might be interested in you.

Regardless of what you think, just having a phone is not open invitation for the government to spy on you!

20. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

I don't support any group, political or otherwise. Hell I don't even vote. Come at me bro!

21. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

User 1: Govnerment is envading our privacy!!!!

User 2: So ..... :cool:

User 1: So!? Are you Serious!!! Let me tell you ...(8 paragraphs of blah blah blah) ..... and that's what you need to know.

User 2: So what are you going to do about it besides write 10,000 word essays on the net.

User 1: :confused:

User 2: That's what I thought ....:p

User 1: :mad:

22. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Wow, you summed it up perfectly. I can't count the number of times the government has tried to evade my privacy... For those of us who actually work in political/non-profit fields (and know how to spell), this is and important issue, and just because you don't care doesn't mean that others of us don't work on issues like this for a living...though given the responses on here I have to continually question why I'm trying so hard to protect your rights and liberties.

23. callum23 macrumors member

24. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

The government will do as they please to us.

We work for them now.:(

25. oplix macrumors 65816

oplix

Sir I'm going to need you to step out of your house, bend over, and pull down your pants. Unless of course you have something to hide?

----------

Obama: FISA court prohibits unwarranted wire tapping and surveillance.

FISA court records: Have never denied a warrant.