iPhone iOS backup camera roll video or NOT?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by fyp008, Sep 27, 2013.

1. fyp008 macrumors newbie

Can anyone confirm with me that during the iOS upgrade, did iTunes backup all files in the phone including the camera roll video?

My experience is NO but from apple tech support they said yes. I don't 100% believe them since it is not first time they gave me a wrong answer.
    Also from apple: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4946

Anyway knows the answer?:confused:

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Didn't you do a manual backup before starting the upgrade ?

3. fyp008 thread starter macrumors newbie

No. The system automatically backup the phone. That is the backup I mean.

4. Shan S. macrumors member

The iOS upgrade does not automatically backup all your items including videos and photos before the upgrade. You need to make sure you do a final backup to either iCloud or to your computer. If you do an over the cloud install or install from the computer and don't reset your phone before upgrading, then all your items will still be on the phone. So it may look like it was backed up and restored.

In reality the iOS was just upgraded and no backup and restore really happened.

Again there is no automatic backup BEFORE the upgrade..

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

Before you upgrade or restore, you should manually do "Transfer Purchases". This will update your computer with any iTunes content (music, apps, podcasts, books, etc) that is on your phone, but not on your computer. If you don't do this, when you restore from a backup, your phone will be missing those items (because a backup doesn't include music, apps, podcasts, etc ... it expects them to have already been copied to your computer).

After you do that, then do a manual backup by clicking the "Back up now" button. Before you do that, make sure you have the "Encrypt iPhone backup" box checked, so that it remembers and restores your passwords.

If you do those two things first, when you restore, it should put everything back.

6. fyp008 thread starter macrumors newbie

Update:

Apple tech is right. My camera roll, pictures, basically, everything is backup automatically during the iOS7 upgrade. After I go to discovery mode and choose the only backup I have which is when the phone is upgrading. Everything is there!!

So, Apple did improved!!! A+++. :cool: