Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RumoRi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2011
Hi all,

I have almost stopped using my mac, in favor of using iOS devices. My main "computers" are a iphone X and a iPad Pro 10.5. My files get synced with iCloud, I have apple music and icloud photos. In other words, all my files, music and photos are in the cloud. My devices also take backup to iCloud.

I used to take backups of my mac with time machine, but no more, because i don't use my mac. With time machine I always knew that my files were backed up, but now, without time machine, I have some doubts.

Here is the list of what is backed up to icloud: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207428

If I understand it correctly;
- My non-"apple music" music files (ALAC) are not backed up in any way
- My photos are in the cloud, but there is no backup. If i delete a photo, it is gone on every device, and in the cloud.

Have I understood this right? How are you dealing with backups on your iOS devices?

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
- My non-"apple music" music files (ALAC) are not backed up in any way

They should be part of icloud music library, for access/download on other devices... but in AAC 256kbps format (depending on how you put them onto your phone and ipad in the first place, they may already be in this format and you didn't notice) - https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT205919#existing

they are not backed up, but they should be available again if the worst happens - unless you delete them from the library of course. there's no second chances with this (in case of accidental deletion).

- My photos are in the cloud, but there is no backup. If i delete a photo, it is gone on every device, and in the cloud.

you get some time to "undo" it, though, as they are moved to a "deleted items" folder before being properly deleted 30 days later. once they're gone from there, though, they're gone.

RumoRi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2011
Thank you for your answers. So based on your answers and apples information about icloud backup; there is no real backup of my files on icloud drive, my photos or my music files (only down sampled copies of the music files).

The question then becomes; how do I take backups of my stuff if i only use iOS devices. Are there any third party solutions (external hard drive, cloud backup, others)? Or do I still have to use a mac?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.