Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jweinraub

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Sol III
Is there an app that shows what is causing the battery to drain? This morning for example, my phone was completely charged, freshly rebooted, and I was just texting with a friend of mine, on and off. The phone is now 46%!

There isn't anything running in the background.
I am not asking for advice what to turn off service-wise, I like to know what are good apps that gives me detailed data on the battery itself. Power cycles/battery health/which process is draining it more. I don't need or care to know that I can have 3 hours of standby time left/2 hours of movies left/etc.

Is there any such app? App store preferred since there isn't Cydia yet for iOS 7 on iPhone 5.

Thanks.

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
Are you sure it was charged from the night before?

Is this the first time this has happened?

Does this high rate of discharge continue?

jweinraub

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Sol III
Are you sure it was charged from the night before?

Is this the first time this has happened?

Does this high rate of discharge continue?

Yes, positive, as it has been happening now for about a month. I never had any issues with the so-called iOS 7 drain. I am on the latest version but relatively recently the heavy drain started. Since I posted this, I did not use the phone other than to reply to a couple of emails and take one turn in Words with Friends. My battery is now at 38%.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Since I posted this, I did not use the phone other than to reply to a couple of emails and take one turn in Words with Friends. My battery is now at 38%.

8% battery drop... over the course of an hour when you were using your phone. Depending on your signal strength, brightness, and various other settings, that doesn't seem too far out of the ordinary.

jweinraub

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Sol III
But the 60% drop from just using iMessage? On a strong wifi signal? With nothing else running? In the past at least I would of expected to be at 70% at worse.

jweinraub

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Sol III
Okay something is odd going on. I just got back from lunch, read a few emails/read a few articles but it dropped down to 19%. It is already passed warranty, so I guess back to my original question, is there a diagnostic tool I can use? I don't think the Genius Bar at this point would do much without charging me a lot of money. Is the battery easy to replace or is there some sort of process running causing it to drain this much?

jweinraub

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Sol III
Would I need to make an appointment with the Genius Bar in order to do so? Would it be free?

I got the phone on day one, and returned it just before the warranty was up due to the infamous power button issue. They promptly swapped it out and gave me a new one. It occurred probably during the summer. So now, it being about six months later, I cannot see it being anything other than a bad battery, so perhaps I should go visit my local apple store. Would you know if they case swap it out on the spot (the battery/for a fee), or would they swap out the entire phone?

I suppose I should make sure I did an entire backup prior to visiting the Apple store?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.