Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
Personally, I NEVER use the left swipe from the iOS home screen on my iPhone to access the search menu. I've never needed to search for anything, so I figured we could make better use it somehow.

What is a left swipe brought up quick access menus, like for adjusting brightness. Any other ideas? Do you use the search feature?

While I'm at it, is anyone else bothered by the static search bar in the Calendar app? Again, something else I never use. They should make it appear when you swipe down, like in the mail app.

kopite19

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2010
Left swipe for widgets/dashboard. Calender, alarm/clock etc. That would be my preference.
You can still have the spotlight search there, it'll just expand when searching akin to the way the folder opens.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
swiping left to the camera would be very handy.

Or just to an app of your choice. Personally i dont use the camera much (although this could be cos of the time it takes to find and open). Great idea. I loke the widgets thing too but if apple just made live icons for weather and clock etc (and allowed them for developers) i would be happy.

Settings shortcuts would be cool too (wifi, bluetooth, data, 3g) and these could easily be incorporated into the existing screen

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
Left swipe for widgets/dashboard. Calender, alarm/clock etc. That would be my preference.
You can still have the spotlight search there, it'll just expand when searching akin to the way the folder opens.
That's a brilliant idea.

aluren

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
Second on widgets! I never use the search feature either. Swiping down for search works for me as well.

Btw, you guys keep saying left-swipe, but don't you have to right-swipe from the homepage to get to spotlight?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.