Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

couponmagnet

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2014
Thanks

Apple replaced my phone with another but still it did not solve the issue.
Wow talk about resurrecting the dead forum. Your issue is the first issue I've heard of since 8.1+ ... I think at this point it's safe to say it's probably specific to your device.

aypues

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2012
San Diego
I have a 2004 Lexus LS430 which has a 1st generation bluetooth system. I had a blackberry for a long time which worked flawlessly with it. When i finally upgraded to the iPhone 6 it was having this problem where if i made a call the screen on my car wouldnt activate the speaker until the other party had answered, missing the first 3-5 seconds. I eventually had to speak with a supervisor at Apple. We had to do a clean install, downloaded from Apple on my PC, not a backup...there was some bug in my backup because we tried to do that first. Once we setup the phone as new everything is working properly.

Imacmatches

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2012
Australia
Bluetooth audio streaming problem

Aussie release 2014 Toyota Hilux
iPhone 5S running 8.0.2 (previous 8.0.1 only just upgraded and problems have been evident on both OS)
So for the first 6 months or so I have had no problems with the audio streaming or phone calls through the stereo. Then for no particular or obvious reason the audio stream has started doing some very annoying things. Apart from the radio having a return to set volume every time the car is turned on (Toyota design to apparently prevent me from blasting my eardrums) my streaming volume has now decided to have a mind of its own. Firstly, more often than not, I now have to pump the volume up to 45 or 50 (compared to 20 for radio) to even hear my music. Then when I get a notification it comes through at a stupid loud volume and the music stays at that higher volume and I have to manually reduce it. Secondly while I have the music at a reasonable level and get a notification the music (which has reduced for the notification) will stay at the reduced level and I have to pump the volume back up to hear it. These appear to be random events with no obvious precursors to the outcome. I can not duplicate either of the problems manually/on demand.

FWIW phone calls have not been affected and still function as designed.

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
Finally, my no audio until call connects issue is resolved with 8.2

Yes! The issue with my Mazda3 was that calling with Siri would be done in Bluetooth Phone mode. But, while dialing, the Bluetooth Phone connection would drop and go into search mode. When it reconnects, it goes into Bluetooth Audio mode and sometimes picks up a few seconds after the call connects.

The latest update seems to correct this issue in that I can hear the ring tone and the call correctly reconnects in Bluetooth Phone mode.

Everything worked fine if I used the Mazda's built-in voice controls to handle the dialing. But, I would have to use the car's phone directory or recite the phone number.

The Bluetooth issue I had in iOS 7 was the turn-by-turn directions (and other non-streaming audio apps) getting cut off mid-sentence if I didn't have any other audio apps running at the same time. iOS 8 solved that issue, but had the new issue of not picking up the call audio quickly enough. Now I'll have to see if the turn-by-turn directions bug comes back. :)

----------

Aussie release 2014 Toyota Hilux
iPhone 5S running 8.0.2 (previous 8.0.1 only just upgraded and problems have been evident on both OS)
So for the first 6 months or so I have had no problems with the audio streaming or phone calls through the stereo. Then for no particular or obvious reason the audio stream has started doing some very annoying things. Apart from the radio having a return to set volume every time the car is turned on (Toyota design to apparently prevent me from blasting my eardrums) my streaming volume has now decided to have a mind of its own. Firstly, more often than not, I now have to pump the volume up to 45 or 50 (compared to 20 for radio) to even hear my music. Then when I get a notification it comes through at a stupid loud volume and the music stays at that higher volume and I have to manually reduce it. Secondly while I have the music at a reasonable level and get a notification the music (which has reduced for the notification) will stay at the reduced level and I have to pump the volume back up to hear it. These appear to be random events with no obvious precursors to the outcome. I can not duplicate either of the problems manually/on demand.

FWIW phone calls have not been affected and still function as designed.

I noticed this happening a couple of times. But, it's not a persistent issue for me.

Try disabling the Sound Check in the Music settings (or enabling the option if you currently have it switched off). This is supposed to work with iTunes's automatic level adjustments that try to keep the average levels for all songs roughly similar. Sound Check might be setting the reference level too low, and aggressively attenuating the Bluetooth output.

Another solution is to simply use an analog audio connection. Those are generally a lot louder than the Bluetooth audio.

spooned12000rpm

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2009
York, UK
I don't think the low sound after a notification bug is to do with Bluetooth. I've experienced the same thing when listening to my GF's music from her iPhone 5 through the headphone jack to the car's aux port. She was receiving messages through the Facebook messenger app which kept reducing the sound for a good minute at a time. Only skipping the current song seemed to override it.

citivolus

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2008
Mazda woes

I have a Mazda CX-5 and iPhone 6 Plus. When I am on the phone in my home with audio routed to my bluetooth headset, I get in my car and the phone connects to the car radio and audio is automatically routed to the car. I press "transfer to headset" on the car stereo display, but 30 seconds later it automatically switches it back to the car. This goes over and over again no matter how many times I switch it to the headset. Anyone else experience something similar or know what I can do to stop the car from automatically taking over my phone audio?

aypues

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2012
San Diego
Finally, my no audio until call connects issue is resolved with 8.2

I don't know what is going on anymore. I thought it was fixed but then it reverted back to the old behavior - the no audio until the call connects. I did a clean install of iOS9...I set up my iPhone 6 as NEW. I went to the car and it worked as it should. Then I went back and loaded all my apps and changed all the settings and now it doesn't work again! This phone's bluetooth is garbage...my Blackberry NEVER had this problem.

pesos

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2006
It's definitely an issue with Apple, but it's also dependent on the manufacturer's implementation it seems... Even within a particular brand! Our X3 we've had since January has constant problems with my 6+, but the M3 I got a month ago works well except for an occasional glitch. I'm wondering if BMW has a firmware or software update that has resolved some of the things on their end...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.