iOS bugs after installing Google Maps Anyone?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by karsal, Jan 4, 2013.

1. karsal macrumors member

I had a MAJOR gripe with iOS 1-5 in that the internet (cellular) hangs or freezes. You try to use it and it just keeps "loading" but nothing really happens unless you restart the phone. This also happens if you're on cellular internet and come near a WiFi network and back to cellular, the internet just stops working.

Well, iOS 6 seemed to fix the issue (on iPhone 4S and 5) and it was working great, NEVER had an issue with the internet hanging UNTIL I downloaded google maps. The first time I noticed it was when searching for a POI and it shows that the internet is loading but nothing happens. I immediately tried mail, Safari, iMessage and they too have stopped loading.

To isolate the problem, I formatted the iPhone and started fresh - there were no internet issues. I downloaded Google Maps and again, the exact issue came back. This is EXTREMELY frustrating especially when on the road and trying to search something, find directions, or send an iMessage.

Has anyone else noticed this? I hope I'm not the only one.

2. batting1000 macrumors 604

Maybe you just have bad signal. Are you restoring as new or from a backup?

3. karsal thread starter macrumors member

Restored as new. I'm in Houston, one of the best LTE areas for AT&T. Also, even if I have 5 bars and the internet hangs, it goes nowhere.

4. batting1000 macrumors 604

I'm not denying the fact that you have a legitimate issue here, but it just sounds very odd that Google Maps is at the cause of it. What if you restore your device and keep it at the setup or fresh at the home screen, go to an Apple Store, explain the issue and then try to demonstrate by downloading Maps.

There's a good chance it'll work without any issue if you go to an Apple Store (obviously :rolleyes:) but if it's a real issue, the same thing you're describing will occur. That's my best suggestion.