Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
slightly off topic, but really wish 1 password had the option to log into your account remotely on another computer to access your login data. Unless I am missing this somewhere.

Kuwait

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2012
Kuwait
iOS Cloud Keychain help people on safari iPhone fast login but you need 1Password for save everything
i am use both 1Password and iOS Cloud Keychain
iOS Cloud Keychain + 1Password = great service for people

iOS Cloud Keychain if your account has been hacked you got big problem but 1password safe and you can save your backup in usb flash

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
1Password Anywhere is still the killer feature. I can sit at any computer and access everything I have saved. No need for a Mac. I just need a browser and an Internet connection.

BasilFawlty

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2009
New Mexico
Will 1 Password be obsolete?

Just watched the Keynote and saw where Mavericks will have key chain in the cloud. It will allow storing to passwords, credit card infer, etc., all encrypted of course. Will this make programs like 1Password (which I just bought and really like) obsolete?

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
Not for me, at least not yet. I use 1Password not only for website passwords, but for lots of other secure information storage (bank account numbers, social security numbers, database server logins, etc.), plus for keeping track of software license numbers and such. I also use the web logins in multiple browsers on both Windows and Mac, so they'd need to cover that case too - as a web developer, I can't be tied to just Safari, as I have to work and test in Windows and multiple browsers.

That all being said, yes, I'm sure there are a fair number of people that could use the new functionality instead of 1Password, although my guess is that most of those people aren't yet using 1Password. 1Password is updated incredibly frequently and is clearly a high priority to its developers, so I'm inclined to stick with them and an excellent product I trust, and I imagine that'll be the case for many long-time 1Password users too.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Feb 19, 2005
Probably not and not for me if Keychain is not as secure as 1PW.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Just so we are clear.. iCloud keychain uses client-side or server-side encryption?

I don't particularly want Apple having a nice database of users' passwords on the premise that "Don't worry, we encrypt with 256-bit encryption!" because that's great but if they have the keys it's pointless.

This is why I've stuck with lastpass, because they can't get in just as much as hackers can't get in.
My understanding is that this works just like Messages does - all the encryption and key exchange are done client-side, so Apple has no idea how to decrypt it. The difference with iCloud Keychain is that, instead of communicating between 2 computers that may not necessarily be on the same network or even trust each other, all computers involved are linked to the same Apple ID, and are thus implicitly trusted.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Just watched the Keynote and saw where Mavericks will have key chain in the cloud. It will allow storing to passwords, credit card infer, etc., all encrypted of course. Will this make programs like 1Password (which I just bought and really like) obsolete?
It will not make 1Password/oneSafe/etc obsolete. I have information stored that has no place or reason to be on the Keychain. This include software license keys, passwords for various WiFi networks and combination locks.

Also, considering how important all the data is, I consider this an extra backup of the Keychain.

Also, what do you do if you're somewhere using a computer and want to log in to a web site. You can pull out your iOS device and easily look up the URL, username and password for the web site.

rexy101

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2013
I use and love 1pw. But also agree its a annoying that it can't be integrated with Safari or Chrome on iOS. Also I could see dropbox sync could cause problems but I myself have not had any as of yet. From what I could see from the WWDC event I don't really like apple integration. I much prefer how 1pw works by unlocking it first and then using it for what ever. If apple did this and built it into the OS including iOS, i think we would have a winner.

I feel for 1pw though, apple should have had this along time ago really. The devs at 1pw came up with a solution which has made it up the ranks on the MAS and apple have then gone thats a good idea lets add it to the next OS. This will be the case for lots of apps out there including one of my own. I understand they want to make there OS much better without users purchasing 3rd party apps. But its a little disappointing for the dev who saw the opportunity. I digress, so I think I still will be using 1pw when I adopt 10.9.

kristoffer4

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2006
Denmark
How good does the password tool work in 10.9? Can I see a list with all my identities and passwords like in 1 Password?

I actually think that I will use both when Mavericks comes out. I own an ipad and an iphone so it's a no brainer even though I payed for 1 Password.

Especially the credit card synching. Also it is kind of a pain to switch app copy, switch app and then insert. I know it is beyond 1 Passwords control but still kind of a pain.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
For me it is a total no-brainer.

1password is available on Windows.

iCloud keychain isn't.

1password is a file I can choose to store wherever I like. iCloud keychain requires me to trust apple to encrypt it securely (who has the master key? if apple can open it for you if you forget your password and prove who you are, guess what: apple has it!) and keep it secure. Not that I believe APPLE would do anything with my credentials, but if someone can socially engineer my iCloud credentials out of them, I'm boned.

Whilst its a neat idea, I'm sticking with 1password.

For those looking for something similar and don't want to pay: check out Keepass. GPL software, has been around since 2003 (i think?) and is totally cross-platform, including an available iPhone app.

iOS Cloud Keychain help people on safari iPhone fast login but you need 1Password for save everything
i am use both 1Password and iOS Cloud Keychain
iOS Cloud Keychain + 1Password = great service for people

iOS Cloud Keychain if your account has been hacked you got big problem but 1password safe and you can save your backup in usb flash

This is another one.

I have a copy of my 1password data backed up. even if someone hacks my dropbox (where i sync it with), the key file is still protected by a strong passphrase - the worst they can do is wipe my dropbox and then i just restore the file from time machine and away I go...

If someone hacks my iCloud account, they have access to all my passwords. I.e., there are 2 passwords protecting my 1password keychain, the one required to obtain a copy off dropbox (32 characters, totally random) and the other to open it (20 character passphrase).

edit:
Unless you use a separate keychain password on a particular keychain? Even so... no windows support = not for me.

Last edited:

bolen

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2008
Sweden
Personally I'm going to continue using 1Password. I would however love it if 1Password would implement support for syncinc the "login category" with iCloud Keychain. I would suspect this is possible outside the MAS.

That way we could get the best of two worlds. A powerful, dedicated, password manager with the convenience of iOS Safari integration of iCloud Keychain...

One can dream..

janitor1999

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2008
Use 1password on the macs, but find it next to useless on ios devices, so will probably go with keychains, unless 1password can integrate into the browser, only using keychains with safari isn't a problem, as it's my browser of choice anyway.

mrbobbo

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2007
iCloud Keychain is a joke

Yeah if you want to use safari on all devices and not edit your passwords and not save notes, email passwords, etc, then maybe keychain is ok. Otherwise it's a waste of time. I've been resorting to Evernote, believe it or not, but I'm going for 1Password now. In the hype for ios 8 and OS X 10.10 not a word about keychain so I doubt it's going to get any better. Apple's cloud and sync solutions are almost as bad as Microsoft's.

janitor1999

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2008
I've found 1password for ios next to useless, haven't used it on pad or phone since icloud keychains was released, come to that goes for all the other apple devices I use daily,though I must admit up until icloud keychains was released used it all the time.

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
For me it is a total no-brainer.

1password is available on Windows.

iCloud keychain isn't.

1password is a file I can choose to store wherever I like. iCloud keychain requires me to trust apple to encrypt it securely (who has the master key? if apple can open it for you if you forget your password and prove who you are, guess what: apple has it!) and keep it secure. Not that I believe APPLE would do anything with my credentials, but if someone can socially engineer my iCloud credentials out of them, I'm boned.

Whilst its a neat idea, I'm sticking with 1password.

For those looking for something similar and don't want to pay: check out Keepass. GPL software, has been around since 2003 (i think?) and is totally cross-platform, including an available iPhone app.

This is another one.

I have a copy of my 1password data backed up. even if someone hacks my dropbox (where i sync it with), the key file is still protected by a strong passphrase - the worst they can do is wipe my dropbox and then i just restore the file from time machine and away I go...

If someone hacks my iCloud account, they have access to all my passwords. I.e., there are 2 passwords protecting my 1password keychain, the one required to obtain a copy off dropbox (32 characters, totally random) and the other to open it (20 character passphrase).

edit:
Unless you use a separate keychain password on a particular keychain? Even so... no windows support = not for me.

Even if someone would hack your icloud they still cannot see your iCloud Keychain until they do the following.

1) Approve through a device that has keychain turned on. OR
2) Approve with your iCloud Keychain recovery key (most cases your passcode) AND a code send to your mobile telephone (unless your recover key is the 25 digit randomly created one) to reset the keychain.

It is quite safe actually unless someone steals your phone and your passcode is 1234 they could view all your passwords and write them down. But than most people with iCloud Keychain will use a more complex passcode.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.