Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
I'm really wanting to try some of these out and I can't seem to find any! I understand things are still new for iOS 9. I really can't wait to see all the ads on my mobile browser vanish. It's absurd how much space they take up, not to mention the data. I love MacRumors but this site is littered with ads on mobile.

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
I'm really wanting to try some of these out and I can't seem to find any! I understand things are still new for iOS 9. I really can't wait to see all the ads on my mobile browser vanish. It's absurd how much space they take up, not to mention the data. I love MacRumors but this site is littered with ads on mobile.

Content blockers need iOS 9, and thus will start appearing the AppStore when iOS 9 is officially released.

Remember that every single application and update needs to go through AppStore manual check up.

I have a content blocker to be launched on the AppStore.

http://www.sudomindcontrol.com/adbomb/

And sign the mailing list so I can tell you guys when it's ready.

It is going to be 100% free.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Content blockers need iOS 9, and thus will start appearing the AppStore when iOS 9 is officially released.

Remember that every single application and update needs to go through AppStore manual check up.

Looking forward to trying it out...thanks!

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013

Question: Is it true that non-64 bit devices cannot use content blockers? I'd love for this to not be true...

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
Question: Is it true that non-64 bit devices cannot use content blockers? I'd love for this to not be true...

It's sad for millions of people, but it's true. I confirmed this with Apple Engineers. They responded they decided that way, because this is heavy on string compare. Which makes sense, as 64 bit processors improved greatly with this type of operations, as they can compare 8 bytes at once, where 32 bit processors can only compare 4 bytes at once.

It would be obviously possible with 32 bit processors, but seems like Apple doesn't want the users to feel anything...

Last edited:

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
It's sad for millions of people, but it's true. I confirmed this with Apple Engineers. They responded they decided that way, because this is heavy on string compare. Which makes sense, as 64 bit processors improved greatly with this type of operations, as they can compare 4 bytes at once, where 32 bit processors can only compare 2 bytes at once.

It would be obviously possible with 32 bit processors, but seems like Apple doesn't want the users to feel anything...

Well at least now I know. And have a reason to upgrade to an iPhone 6S!

Benched08

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2014
Yeah, those greedy producers/journalists/designers/developers who give us digital content, how dare they expect some form of payment. I hope everybody who installs these content blockers feels a twang of guilt when only a few people can surf the web without getting beached.

dearfriendx

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2011
San Diego, CA
I'm using Freedom for iOS right now through TestFlight. It doesn't have any options yet but no obtrusive ads is a nice touch to iOS. I'm okay with whitelisting a lot of sites I frequent. I mainly want to hide obtrusive and annoying ads along with tracking scripts. Not too fond of tracking profiles being made for marketing to me.

Reactions: tennisproha

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I'm using Freedom for iOS right now through TestFlight. It doesn't have any options yet but no obtrusive ads is a nice touch to iOS. I'm okay with whitelisting a lot of sites I frequent. I mainly want to hide obtrusive and annoying ads along with tracking scripts. Not too fond of tracking profiles being made for marketing to me.
I just sent a PM seeking to be part of the testing as well. Hopefully, I can still get in.

Last edited:

dearfriendx

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2011
San Diego, CA
I just sent a PM seeking to be part of the testing as well. Hopefully, I can still get in.
More than likely able to get a spot. His blocker isn't well known compared to Crystal which I'm still waiting on. I DM'd him last night asking if a friend could get on and he did it within 5 min no problem

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Yeah, those greedy producers/journalists/designers/developers who give us digital content, how dare they expect some form of payment. I hope everybody who installs these content blockers feels a twang of guilt when only a few people can surf the web without getting beached.

Please read this and understand that it's written by a very well respected iOS developer who himself has relied on ad revenue:

http://www.marco.org/2015/08/11/ad-blocking-ethics

Short version: You're wrong about this issue. It's not the same as just saying "ads are bad" which is what you seem to be assuming.

mariusignorello

Suspended
Jun 9, 2013
It's sad for millions of people, but it's true. I confirmed this with Apple Engineers. They responded they decided that way, because this is heavy on string compare. Which makes sense, as 64 bit processors improved greatly with this type of operations, as they can compare 4 bytes at once, where 32 bit processors can only compare 2 bytes at once.

Couldn't you take BlockParty, for example, open it in Xcode, sign it with your dev identity, and ad-hoc install it to get around the 64 bit requirement?

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
Couldn't you take BlockParty, for example, open it in Xcode, sign it with your dev identity, and ad-hoc install it to get around the 64 bit requirement?

Maybe. I can't confirm because I don't have a 32 bit device.

But for submitting to iTunes Connect, it failed until I forced 64 bit.

mariusignorello

Suspended
Jun 9, 2013
I've been working on an ad blocker called Blacklist. Will be priced at $0.99 when it's released, currently is in App Review.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Is it any different from browsing macrumours in tapatalk, which strips out all the ads anyways?

oester

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2011
Rochester, MN
I just started testing Purify via test flight. Working great and I can finally use the Macrumors mobile site without it being s painful experience!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.