Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Anyone got any idea of the pricing for the keyboards? I wonder if they would go with the freemium route with some of the keyboards?

Like you get the keyboard free, but to unlock features, skins etc. You pay so much. Or will they charge a set amount per keyboard.

It is interesting cause i would rather the freemium route. I want to be able to test out each keyboard, and then decide what i want.

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
I've been seriously eagerly awaiting these keyboards, but having no dictation may well be a dealbreaker for me.

Same. They should add it as an option in the keyboard selection menu so it is accessible at all times. Long press, slide up to it, dictate, and once you're done it reverts to whatever keyboard you were using. Essentially making it a 'temporary' custom keyboard of its own.

Or, as the slide down option on the new audio recording button. Slide down and release to start dictation. Would allow them to free up space on the default keyboard as well.

freemannnn

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2013
i want a keyboard like android have. is there one for ios 8? name?
with numbers on top and letters underneath. so you dont have to switch numbers and letters often!

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 340

Shawzborne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
i want a keyboard like android have.

with number on top and letters underneath. so you dont have to switch numbers and letters often!

That keyboard looks horrible but Ya the numbers at the top may be useful

I'm sure one of the many will have them

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Thanks for the effort, though I'd really appreciate some screen shots along with the links.

phositadc

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
Was tipped off by the fact that none of the teaser videos and images show a dictation button so did some digging and found this. Seems that there is no way for developers to allow this:

https://twitter.com/bradleychambers/status/505731890473861120

Horrible. I was so thrilled to learn apple was finally going to allow third party keyboards. That Apple has gone off and gimped them this way is infuriating. Greatly reduces my excitement. There are times when dictating is much faster or necessary for some reason and I don't want to have to go change keyboards every time I need dictation. Such a disappointment.

Ayr

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2014
Urgh, glad I popped in here for a look. It will be a tragedy if 3rd party keyboards don't have a dictation function.

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
Excuse my ignorance but what does the whole dictation thing mean?

Default keyboard has a microphone button to start dictation. Does not appear that third party keyboards will be able to incorporate such a button, thus if you want to use dictation you'll have to switch to the default keyboard.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Default keyboard has a microphone button to start dictation. Does not appear that third party keyboards will be able to incorporate such a button, thus if you want to use dictation you'll have to switch to the default keyboard.

Ah. Ok thanks. Luckily I don't use that often so it won't be a huge deal personally. Still sucks though.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Am I lame for preferring the default iOS keyboard? :eek:

Nah. You're okay. The default keyboard with PredictiveType will be good enough for a lot of people. I only ever used SwiftKey on Android because the keyboard was prettier and could be sized down to give more space on the screen and not so much for the predictive text.

Shawzborne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
I'm not sure if this one is real or not I couldn't find a website for it

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410751962.723382.jpg

vexa27

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2014
Type Custom Keyboard

I'm actually one of the creators of Type. With Type, you can change your keyboard's keys, background, and more coming soon! You can check us out at www.DownloadType.com. We're really excited to be launching soon and would love to have our keyboard featured on your list.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.