iOS Dev acct?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Afbar1114, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Afbar1114 macrumors 6502a

If i am not a developer is it worth getting an account just to have new iOS before every one else? I mean i can test both on iPad and iPhone....do some people get this account just to test or to build?

2. GIZBUG macrumors 65816

GIZBUG

If you want to pay $99/year to run beta OS on your phone, sure.

3. hobsgrg macrumors 6502

No it's not worth it, however there are some companies that will sell you a dev slot on their account for around $8, this will need to be done for each device so you'd have to pay twice to register an iPhone and an iPad. Links to websites offering that service are not allowed here though as it's against the terms and conditions on the dev accounts

4. brylliant, Nov 19, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2012

brylliant macrumors regular

brylliant

I paid the £59/$99 for the same reason you want to.
    It's worth it if you want to have the newest version of the OS on your devices before the public does.
    It's awesome having the newest iOS and seeing each develop into the final version. I'm working on some apps, which is why I opted for the programme.

It's up to you. Personally, I won't be renewing my membership next time it expires. Maybe I'll do it again in the future.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

If you do this and screw up your device, the apple store people won't help you. Betas can be unstable and if you don't know what you are doing you can easily brick your device. It's supposed to be for developers, not for everyone and his cat.

6. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

No. Unless you're going to use it, a developer account is not worth the very few betas you get. And honestly, people could care less if you have the latest version of iOS not released to everyone, so you're just wasting your cash.

7. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

If you do: fine with us.
    If you do: please don't complain about bugs, lost data, ask for restore etc

Beta is what it is: for developer to test and adopt.
    Beta is not for public entertainment

That said: if you have fun with some hick-ups go ahead. Apply for a dev account, be aware of the NDA you sign and enjoy a preview iOS ...

8. sexiewasd macrumors regular

I've a developer account, and i don't run the betas even though i can if i choose. They are buggy code, Truly betas. If that is your reason for getting an account, you are wasting your money.

9. firewood macrumors 604

Dev accounts are for developers. Betas are for developers with more than one iOS device. That's because Beta's are only for test devices that a developer can afford to have stop working if/when the beta has fatal bugs, and bricks the device, or even just disables reliable connectivity. The Apple store won't fix a device bricked by a buggy beta. Your phone may be dead (or extremely buggy) until the next beta or release candidate comes out. So if you have two or three working iPhones, putting a beta on one of the ones you don't use might be OK.

Is that worth $99?