iOS Developer Exchange - Useful? Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by iosdevexchange, Mar 28, 2011.

1. iosdevexchange macrumors newbie

All,
    I recently started to teach myself how to develop iOS applications and recognized that once I am able to write my own apps, I'm not sure how I'll be able to add nice graphics, sounds etc., since that is not my area of expertise.

So I made this site...

http://www.iosdevexchange.com

...to help iOS developers connect with graphic/sound/video experts and vice versa.

In my mind it'll be people posting freelance type ads that they are (for example) a graphic designer and looking for apps to make logos for, or a developer looking for a sound expert to help them create great sound effects/music for their app.

What do you all think? Useful? Any thoughts on how to drum up interest or features to add/remove?

Thanks for your input!

2. Hermes Monster, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2011

Hermes Monster macrumors 6502a

Hermes Monster

Hi, that's a nice idea but I have a few questions/feedback..

If I stumbled upon the site I'm not sure I would know what it was for - a more detailed explanation would be useful.

How would you "police" this? Clearly this is professionals looking for other professionals to do work. How do you propose people get paid for their work? Or is it supposed to be free?

I'm not sure the forum format is the bast way to go - how about just a "post my project" type thing? Check out somewhere like crowdSpring to get an idea of what I mean (but without the spec work)

I've registered by the way :D I look forward to seeing how this works out

3. iosdevexchange thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Hermes!

I do like the ideas behind crowdSpring and that might be something to aim for eventually, if this takes off. I chose the forum format because it was quick and easy to set up and get started. It didn't require a lot of development or costs.

As for policing it, it will be somewhat self-policed. I will also be a moderator of sorts - at least at the beginning. People getting paid or agreeing to work with one another is up to them.

The way I envision it is: Once a connection is made between someone looking for help and someone offering help, they might exchange emails or phone numbers, or communicate via private messages on the forum, or even keep chatting in the forum thread - it'll be up to them.

I imagine the site being most useful for indie developers, free lance artists (of sound, graphics, film, whatever), and others who are just getting started in the mobile application field.

I like the idea of adding additional explanation of what the site is, but I was actually concerned that the homepage was too "busy" already. I'll play around with it some and see what I can come up with.

Thanks for the feedback!

4. Hermes Monster, May 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2011

Hermes Monster macrumors 6502a

Hermes Monster

The forum format is completely understandable and I agree with your choices from that point of view.

How about a "Introduce Yourself" section, and some stickie posts explaining the site rather than a section with an explanation?

Just an idea - I really hope this works out, I think it's a great concept and not one I'm personally aware of else where.

By the way I'm a budding designer and web developer outside of my IT job (yawn) so let me know if you need anything for the site, I'd be happy to offer some assistance :D