iOS developer migration help

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by applefanDrew, Feb 16, 2011.

1. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

So I'm looking at upgrading to one of the new MBPs when they come out. This will be the first time I've upgraded my computer while apart of the iOS developer program. So my question is, how do I go about migrating my stuff without losing my certificates, private keys, etc? I have already exported my private keys but I want to make sure I get this done right. I would hate to lose my ability to submit apps :( So, if anyone has gone through this process successfully, could you please give me a step by step procedure of how you did it?

Thanks! :apple:

2. PhoneyDeveloper macrumors 68030

PhoneyDeveloper

If you use the Migration Assistant when you get your new computer, to migrate everything from your old computer, you end up with essentially a clone of your old computer. I think it will copy over your keychain also.

I highly recommend you use it.

3. applefanDrew thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the response.

Is the migration assistant the thing that comes up when you first power on a new Mac asking to set up frn time machine backup/set up as new/etc?

4. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

Yap.
    or u can just freshly boot, with clean install, and use a time machine backup :)
    Or a migration assistant inside the mac utilities ;)
    Takes a while to backup 500 gigs, copy it to USB2 drive. and then put that as main onto the second MBP. looks harder as it is ;)
    Just open Migration-Assistant. :)

5. PhoneyDeveloper macrumors 68030

PhoneyDeveloper

Yes that's the Migration assistant. You don't have to copy from a time machine backup. You can copy directly from one Mac to another.

6. forum user macrumors regular

Just try to avoid using Migration Assistant over WiFi, it keeps timing out. Using a cable based LAN is fine but I could never get it to work over Wifi.

7. applefanDrew thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for all the help guys! I hope this goes smoothly.

8. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

What I did was back it up on an external drive too. Just if something goes wrong, u still have an old working backup :)
    I'd recommand doing this sometimes :)

Greetings! and good luck ;)