iOS Development questions

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by ramoneno, Jul 18, 2012.

1. ramoneno macrumors newbie

Hey there,

I'm going to build a simple iPad application for a fair where the company I'm currently working for has a stand.
    I have got something running in the iOS Simulator and am now getting to the point where I've gotta enroll for an iOS developer program.

Now let's get started with my questions...

Question 1:
    When I run an application on the iPad using XCode, can I still run this application after disconnecting the tablet. I actually want to put the app on the device without using the app store.

Question 2:
    Is there a maximum number of devices I can put the application on this way... I'll probably need just one, but maybe two, who knows.

Question 3:
    I'd like to go for the single user iOS Dev Program, I guess I won't need the enterprise edition for what I want to achieve?

Thanks very much, hope someone here can help me out!

Cheers,

Ramon

2. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

Question 1:
    When I run an application on the iPad using XCode, can I still run this application after disconnecting the tablet. I actually want to put the app on the device without using the app store.
    If you build on the iPad, you can still run it after disconnecting, just don't disconnect while debugging ;) it will make your debugger go coocoo! And with the certificates the signed app will only be available for 1 year.

Question 2:
    Is there a maximum number of devices I can put the application on this way... I'll probably need just one, but maybe two, who knows.
    There are 100 devices allowed on a license, so yeah, that kinda covers it ;)

Question 3:
    I'd like to go for the single user iOS Dev Program, I guess I won't need the enterprise edition for what I want to achieve?
    Certainly not, Entreprise builds is for big companies who want to have their own app store (you can completely sandbox ipads for big companies etc.)
    A single or company license is perfect ^_-

3. ramoneno thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks very much for your answers and the fast reply, you've helped me a lot!

Have a nice day!

4. Nick johnson macrumors newbie

The thread turn out very useful for me... I too had that problem and the solution provided is exactly what I wanted....

5. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

Glad i'd still be of use to you sir.

6. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

I don't think Jnoxx is quite right on part 1.

As I recall, you have to install certs on your iOS device. They're good for 2 or 3 months at a time. Without the certs, your non-app store apps won't run. You can get new certs at any time during your 1 year membership, and they won't expire when your membership does.

So if you renew the day your membership runs out, you can actually have valid certs on your device for a bit over a year.

At least that's the way it worked a few years ago.

7. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

They're good for a year now.

8. Duncan C macrumors 6502a

Duncan C

Are developer profiles good for a year now, or is that only ad hoc profiles? It was 3 months for developer profiles last time I checked.

And when did this change?

9. dejo, Aug 10, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2012

dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I have three profiles on my iPhone. All are development profiles and all expire in a year. For example:

[​IMG]

I have no idea.

Attached Files:

10. firewood macrumors 604

My last set of profiles was valid for longer than 3 months. BUT, Apple has made no promises that future profiles will last as long.

11. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

I thought it has been 1 year since like 2 years at least (and was quite confident of that), since all my profiles say they will expire in 1 year (this includes ad-hoc testing).
    I don't mind been proven wrong, but i'd like to actually see proof (so I can tell that to clients to if they ask what's the change between the 3 month prof's vs year profs..)