Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
The Standford one is a complete course nod has been well done in the past. If you have some programming experience, that would be a food start.

chrisaster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
The Standford one is a complete course nod has been well done in the past. If you have some programming experience, that would be a food start.

Thanks... The videos are from 2011. Are there updated versions? Cause code has changed drastically since.

Boris-VTR

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2013
Yes, there are new video from Stanford (2013).

The problem i have with Paul Hegarty is that he states something.....and in minute or two he will negate that. It's hard to follow.

But i didn't watch all his new videos (only first and little bit of second course) so my comment does not cover all 2013 courses.

Kudos for Stanford to give us quality iOS development courses for free!

chrisaster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
So, you turn off storyboards until you are comfortable with the fundamentals. They're more an advanced concept rather than a key concept to learning iOS programming.

Thumbs up to you mister! Thanks, that there is advice that you won't fond no where. I wasn't sure of the fundamentals have changed or not either. Will get on with that then.

Agreed. Better to get the core down first.

Cheers

----------

The problem i have with Paul Hegarty is that he states something.....and in minute or two he will negate that. It's hard to follow.

But i didn't watch all his new videos (only first and little bit of second course) so my comment does not cover all 2013 courses.

Can you get a 2013 link and I'll update the op?

Are those tutorials complex though? For more advanced users?

Would be great to have a beginners/introduction to iOS development using the latest xcode+iOS.

Boris-VTR

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2013
Thumbs up to you mister! Thanks, that there is advice that you won't fond no where. I wasn't sure of the fundamentals have changed or not either. Will get on with that then.

Cheers

----------

Can you get a 2013 link and I'll update the op?

Are those tutorials complex though? For more advanced users?

Would be great to have a beginners/introduction to iOS development using the latest xcode+iOS.

Well i have feeling that Paul can explain even simple thing in a hard way. While previous professors did start with explaining syntax (more beginner friendly), Paul goes straight into programming. He also explain multiple time, why you (students that is) should not attend his course (it's not beginner friendly in his own words).

chrisaster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
Did you not see the article I linked to? It has a link to the videos.

It does have prerequisites.

Hey thanks for the link, I only glanced at it yesterday but today I downloaded + had a look at some slides. Looks like a great download! Cheers for that.

I've also downloaded the introduction fun 2010 which I've started watching. After that oil begin with Stanford 2013. :thumbup:

----------

Well i have feeling that Paul can explain even simple thing in a hard way. While previous professors did start with explaining syntax (more beginner friendly), Paul goes straight into programming. He also explain multiple time, why you (students that is) should not attend his course (it's not beginner friendly in his own words).

Will keep that in mind and try party more attention then... I'm beginning on apples first introduction videos for now. Hopefully that will be a good prep!

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

On the contrary, I think Paul is great. It may be because I've read an Objective-C book (by Stephen Kochan) before, but, still, I find Paul's teaching very engaging. Just me, though.

You may want to see iOS development courses offered by other universities, also available for free on iTunes U.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
On the contrary, I think Paul is great. It may be because I've read an Objective-C book (by Stephen Kochan) before, but, still, I find Paul's teaching very engaging. Just me, though.

You may want to see iOS development courses offered by other universities, also available for free on iTunes U.

Have to agree. Paul's videos have helped me immensely with iOS programming.

Another great help has been http://www.raywenderlich.com .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.