iOS device usage

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Samtb, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Samtb macrumors 65816

Do you use your iOS devices a lot more than your laptop/desktop for personal use? (I.e. ignoring work uses)

2. smooth macrumors 6502

smooth

Yes. My iPad is my main device. When I am at home, I almost exclusively use it. When I'm not home, it's my iPhone. My MBP is mainly my media hub, though I take it off the charger once or twice a week to drain down the battery.

3. itsOver9000 macrumors 6502

itsOver9000

Yep I use my iPad a lot (several hours) during a typical week. In the same time frame I might get on my Mac mini for 30 minutes.

4. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

I have two iPhones and three iPads and that's it (no desktop machines) and I have been happy with this setup for a while. I doubt I'll buy a desktop machine since my iOS devices seem to work perfectly for everything that I do.

5. Samtb thread starter macrumors 65816

By media hub do you mean you store media on it?

6. Samtb thread starter macrumors 65816

So do you think this is the case for the vast majority of people these days? That they use their mobile devices a lot more than their laptops or desktops at home? Are people buying them alot less for home use?

7. smooth macrumors 6502

smooth

Yes. I download some TV shows to it which I stream to my television. iTunes is the main storage for music and apps for my iPad, iPhone and kids devices.

8. Trickhot3102 macrumors 6502

Trickhot3102

Laptop? What's that? Oh!!! The thing I haven't touched since I got my iPad!

9. FumbleDuck macrumors member

5s - shooting photos, odd bit of web browsing and note taking
    iPad - photo editing, music creation (ideas/scratchpad), browsing
    rMBP - serious music creation, development, anything involving lots of typing

I dont watch movies or listen to music on any iOS device. I use a Sandisk mp3 player for music as it has physical buttons and a display (which is infinitely preferable over touchscreen).

I find I use my laptop probably less than 50% of the time compared to the iOS devices.

10. ackmondual macrumors 6502a

ackmondual

Despite having an Ipad Air, I use my PC more for games, internet, email, Office, consuming multimedia, editing multimedia, and general productivity. I've gotten annoyed by the freemium/free-to-play model for one iOS game, realized I can get a much better version for Steam. I do basic image editing on PC (which I'm sure isn't that bad, but I haven't gone through with this as of yet), and Office documents are a breeze on a desktop. Last but not least, I'm a hobbyist computer programmer, and it's REALLY nice having a real life keyboard, and 26" monitor.

I use the Air mostly to play a card game (Ascension), and I'll "pre load" web pages so I can view articles on the go (I don't have cellular model, and some places don't have wifi). Much nicer than on an Ipod Touch 5 (never mind the tiny screen, but the Safari pages often reload and won't be accessible without connection when this happens), and my 5" Galaxy s4.

11. TechFann macrumors member

The same with me. I only use my laptop now for storage of music, photos, etc. and the occasional time where I need to write a paper or create a PowerPoint, etc. everything else is done with my iPad or iPhone.