iOS devices not staying connected to Belkin router

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ECUpirate44, Oct 2, 2011.

1. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Hey everyone, I'm looking for some advice on how to fix an issue I'm having with my router. It's a Belkin N+ router model # f5d8235-4. For some reason, my iPhone and iPad will not stay connected. The device shows its connected, but when I try to load a web page it just won't load. I know its an issue with the router because the laptops in my house work just fine. Any help is appreciated!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Get a new router. Belkin products are known to not play nicely with Apple products, even down to their USB cables.

3. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Yeap pretty much! Even my guess house tenda router works awesome with Apple products. I wonder how Belkin as a brand name can't get that done.

4. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

Definitely a Belkin problem, and theres no real fix. Just mess around with all the wireless settings on it, but ultimately you need a non-belkin router.

5. ECUpirate44 thread starter macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

6. ECUpirate44 thread starter macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Any suggestions as to what I should get in replacement?

7. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

I make a lousy fangirl, because I'm not that loyal, but I will say my previous generation Airport Extreme was hands down the best router I've ever owned. Never gave me an ounce of trouble, even when I was running a mixed network of Windows XP, Vista, and Macs on different OSX versions, plus the iOS devices and Xbox. The only reason we swapped it out was to get a TimeCapsule.

Unfortunately, the current TimeCapsule isn't as quite as good as the AEx was about playing nice with the Xbox, at least in this household, and it was a right royal b**ch to set up. (I have some network experience, so no, it wasn't just user error. Apple's documentation both paper and online leave a lot to be desired.) Once up and running, though, it's done fine with two Macs, four-six iOS devices, a visiting Windows 7 machine, and with an Airport Express added to stream AirPlay from the iPhones. The Xbox loses connection whenever it's turned off, and will not reconnect automatically, though it did with the AEx. Once you convince it to reconnect, it's fine--one of these days, I'll have to spend some time in triage for that.

8. ECUpirate44 thread starter macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Thanks, im looking into a linksys or Netgear right now.

9. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Yep, tried both of those as well as the Belkin. Do post what you decide on though, and how well it ends up working for you. Always good to know when something actually works!

10. ECUpirate44 thread starter macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Can you confirm that Linksys and Netgear both play nice with Apple devices? :eek:

11. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

It's been a few years since I used either, so I'm not much help on that score. I don't recall specific Apple issues with either, but neither lasted more than 6-10 months before failing on me. In fact, until the AEx, most routers around here had fairly short lifespans. (Everything is plugged into surge suppressors, and nothing else has failed while using those. And the AEx went three years+ in the same setup, still worked, in fact, until I unplugged it to plug in the TimeCapsule. Go figure.)

12. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Honestly Belkin is the only brand I've had consistent problems with. All other networking equipment (including Apple's) is pretty much the same.

FWIW I currently have a Netgear WNDR3700. It's great.