iOS Diagnostics

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by AppleFan22, Feb 22, 2015.

1. AppleFan22 macrumors regular

I know when you set up an appointment with the Genuis bar they usually ask you to do the iOS Diagnostics thing, where they send you an email and ask you to follow the link, but is there a way of doing that solo? Maybe not going into the iOS Diagnostics, because I've tried that, and it doesn't work unless you have a ticket number. Is there an app you can get for the computer that will do the trick? Just to see what's going on, and clear RAM, etc. Nothing from the iTunes Store, that doesn't work, all those gimmicky apps. I want something that will actually do something for me.

2. dilap macrumors 6502a

No, I dont think there is without a jailbreak. Its a shame :(

3. dilap macrumors 6502a

4. EdgardasB macrumors 6502a

EdgardasB

You don't need to clear RAM, operating system does that.

5. dilap macrumors 6502a

The ones on the App Store claim to do things, I mean stuff like that. Even though the OS does it, if it did it more frequently, or efficiently, this would not be a problem.

6. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

7. AppleFan22 thread starter macrumors regular

As far as I'm aware, there is no jailbreak for iOS 8.1.3 anyway. But anytime I've tried jailbreaking my old iPhone 4, something has gone wrong somewhere... Oh well...

----------

That seems more like something that just works with Chrome, and I follow the directories, and there was nothing there anyway.

----------

The look exactly like the ones that do absolutely nothing, and you have to pay for them. That's just ridiculous...

8. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

They may look like ones that do absolutely nothing, but indeed they do. If you don't believe it, thats on you. I've been using System Status for about 5 years now, never have had an issue with it. They also offer a free version which I believe still has the RAM clearing capability.

Battery Doc on the other hand is a newer app that I have come across, but it also does work. I've compared the battery health that the app states to Apple's diagnostic at the Genius Bar and it is spot on.

9. bransoj macrumors 6502a

I've been using this one for a while now on both my iPhone and iPad which is free :-
    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/battery-doctor-must-have-battery/id615987910?mt=8

I'm skeptical about the battery side of things as i dont think it makes a lot of difference so i tend to ignore that part but the cache cleaning and memory cleaning do seem to work and make a difference. The memory cleaning on my iPad 3 is especially noticeable before playing something like Real Racing 3.

10. gordon1234, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2015

gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

iOS Diagnostics

In practical terms I think it's snake oil. Especially any claims of being able to put the battery in a special charging mode. This is just not something that third-party apps have any access to. They can read the battery state, and that's about it.

To give (marginal) credit where credit is due, I tried the memory boost setting in Battery Doctor while hooked up to Xcode, and it is in fact running the purge command. I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to be able to do that, but it appears to have slipped under Apple's radar. That said, 9 times out of 10, purging cached processes will do nothing but make your system slower and waste battery since every app you open will have to reload from disk. I suppose on a device with 512MB of RAM in very specific circumstances it could help, but I think 99% of it is the placebo effect..

I will say, of the apps listed above, the one app that looks legitimately useful is System Status. It doesn't claim to boost performance or battery or anything, it just provides a wealth of technical information. It also apparently has the purge function implemented. It's done very discretely and is not mentioned in the app description. To his considerable credit, the developer outright says not to use it, that it doesn't do anything useful, and that it's only there due to overwhelming demand: http://www.techet.net/sysstat/help.html#Memory