iOS Documentation in Xcode 4?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by Heisler98, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Heisler98 macrumors member

I got Xcode 4 and I can't access any documentation (like when you opt+double-click in Xcode 3.2.x) besides the Mac OS X Core Libraries which don't help me with things like ex. UIAlertView. How can I download/move/copy/GET it into Xcode 4 so I can access it?

Now, I can access the header files within the frameworks, but those aren't much help with defining and giving other instances of how the method could be used.

(JIC, sdk is 4.3.x and Xcode 4.x)
    Thanks.

2. jiminaus macrumors 65816

jiminaus

Firstly, go into Help | Documentation and API Reference, if you click on the eye button on the left-hand side of the documentation window, do you see either the iOS 4.2 Library and/or the iOS 4.3 Library?

If you don't, go into XCode | Preferences, under the Documentation tab, see if you have GET buttons next to the iOS Libraries. If you do, click them and they will download.

3. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

OH I totally forgot about that! I'm so glad I'm playing on Mac Rumors instead of working on my game because I'm about to take my MBA with me (that has the new XCode) and I won't have internet so I'd of been screwed!

I'd of had to look up documentation on my iPhone :p

4. joephish macrumors member

Brilliant, I was getting frustrated for quite a while the other night with the lack of iOS documentation, this has fixed it for me. It wasn't installed by default. I had to go into the preferences as you say, click the "Check and Install Now", which made the iOS documentation entry (greyed out) appear, so I could press the GET button.

5. Heisler98 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! It worked, but (just for future reference) I had to click Check and Install Updates button before seeing the iOS 4.3 Library Documentation.

You are a lifesaver! I'm going out of town and so I needed to have the documentation for when I'm on the road w/o 4G/3G access. :)

Wonder why it didn't come pre-installed....

6. sneeden macrumors newbie

Thank you jiminaus

I was pulling my hair out.

7. seepel macrumors 6502

seepel

Just in case you didn't notice (I didn't for quite a while) The documentation has been moved to the organizer window. It's at the end of the tabs at the top. I find it a bit quicker to get to by simply opening organizer than using the help drop down. I really miss the right-click -> Show in Documentation... :(

8. sirjorj macrumors newbie

Just another thanks for pointing out where to tell XCode to download the iOS docs.

jorj

9. primedime macrumors member

Thank you! last night I was trying to find stuff in the documentation and couldn't.

10. OneMHz macrumors newbie

Wow. Thank you. I was about to reinstall to try to find the option to install the docs.

11. NanoMeko macrumors member

Why wasn't this installed by default? Frustrating!

12. itai, Jun 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2011

itai macrumors member

13. DKant macrumors newbie

"right-click -> Show in Documentation"

Just one more example of the completely unnecessary and futile changes in XCode 4. The interface didn't gain ANYthing by changing the keyboard shortcuts either, yet they got mixed around without any explanation.

Sure this version was basically a ground-up rewrite, supposed to set the tone and a new direction for future XCodes. But why mess with (and axe!) features that have done a great job of HELPing developers so far? What was gained?

14. BioCore, Aug 23, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2011

BioCore macrumors regular

Edited by BioCore: Never mind I got access to offline documentation using the above method.