Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Digital Jive

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2009
I have a client who wants to store 6 months of e-mails on his phone. He's currently using Outlook which won't store more than a 1000 e-mails... he's looking for something which will store 6 months, which for him is a lot of e-mails. Is there an app which will do this and let him search them, up to the limits of space on the phone? I've tested a few but without success. It's an IMAP account through Yahoo.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I always thought the premise behind IMAP was it didn't download your email unless you opened it (it was just a pointer till this happened). This was advantageous especially if one had a lot of email - it wouldn't slow down the device or require a large amount of download time since most email services aren't known for their speed downloading lots of email. (Took me days to get my 80k+ emails out of gmail despite it only being a few GB).

Anyway, hope someone responds with an app. Following with interest.

sgtaylor5

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2017
Cheney, WA, USA
I’m using Preside. Like AltaMail, it is a desktop email client on your phone. More settings than you’d think possible, so it’s best to start basic and expand your customization later as you get used to it. You can download lots of your mail. You can send an email as a task to many task apps.

I just wish there was a program one could use on an iPhone to intercept hard-coded system calls to the Apple Mail app and send them to your defined default mail app. Then I wouldn’t have to have two mail apps installed.

IMAP is online-only by default, but I like to have an offline copy of my mail, just in case. I’ve seen too many of my clients lose all of their email when they lost their passwords, forgot them or changed their mobile phone too many times so they couldn’t receive a verification code.

That’s one drawback of relying solely on webmail.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.