Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheComposer

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
Hey, this is kind of controversial, and a personal opinion too, let me know yours:)

Well, probably you've heard that some hackers, developers, etc, etc, are constantly trying (And failing it seems) to port IOS into PC, Android, etc, i know there are legal issues that won't allow them to do it "freely" if you know what i mean, but...

I'm kind of waiting/expecting somebody finally do it, there was a project called IEmu (Cancelled i must say) that was intended to do this. But it doesn't mean some other people are already trying this, if they bypass the legal barriers to port them into whatever device, that'll end the Apple reign:p. More specifically, an APP emulator could work for this purpose.

Now, imagine this, Apple's apps on a 4, 4.3, 4.7, 5 screen smartphone!!! if you want Apple only for apps, then you could easily get a Samsung product and use them from there, that's the whole point of the thread.

Any thoughts?:apple:

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
That's like saying making a hackint0sh will put the mac out of business.

Not to mention, there isn't another phone out there with the quality hardware as my iPhone4...except maybe the 4S.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Bypass the legal barriers? You can't bypass them. Apple would go nuts and sue who ever makes it into oblivion.

iDuel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Greece/USA
No way. An emulator would never work as fluidly as the official iOS on supported hardware. Just look at the hackintosh; it's a pain to find the supported hardware PLUS you have to worry about an update bricking the system.

It may be a coinsedence, but what's up with people creating new accounts to start android vs. iOS/ PC vs Mac
Debates?

Last edited:

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Hey, this is kind of controversial, and a personal opinion too, let me know yours:)

Well, probably you've heard that some hackers, developers, etc, etc, are constantly trying (And failing it seems) to port IOS into PC, Android, etc, i know there are legal issues that won't allow them to do it "freely" if you know what i mean, but...

I'm kind of waiting/expecting somebody finally do it, there was a project called IEmu (Cancelled i must say) that was intended to do this. But it doesn't mean some other people are already trying this, if they bypass the legal barriers to port them into whatever device, that'll end the Apple reign:p. More specifically, an APP emulator could work for this purpose.

Now, imagine this, Apple's apps on a 4, 4.3, 4.7, 5 screen smartphone!!! if you want Apple only for apps, then you could easily get a Samsung product and use them from there, that's the whole point of the thread.

Attachments

• CunningPlan.jpg
    CunningPlan.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 182

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.

You can't port an OS you don't have the source code to...

not to mention Apple would sue them like crazy. and the fact that people want iOS devices not for the apps, although that helps, but for the interface and ease of use (minus the stupid ass settings.app layout)

TheComposer

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
Well, i'm just saying that eventually will happen, under the water if it has too.

I know there are reasons right now to make it impossible to do, but it'll happen, just as any other developer can emulate consoles, etc, etc.

And then they'll adjust the screen size too.

Easy as this, if i had it right now, i'd buy a Samsung phone and use the IOS apps, that's the point.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I currently use a Samsung SGS2 for a specific reason relating to Exchange Emails and security policies but before that I had an iPhone, 3G, 3GS and 4. If I wanted to run iOS on my phone, I'd get an iPhone 4S - there is no advantage that I can see in anyone wanting to run a half baked version of iOS on a device it wasn't designed to work on.

There are several reasons this is a complete non-starter IMO

Firstly, there are no Android devices that have the same resolution as an iPhone, so everything would be scaled and look like crap

Secondly, anyone even attempting to release a working iOS for Android would be sued so fast they wouldn't know what had hit them

Thirdly, why would you want an App emulator - there aren't many mainstream apps that are on iOS that aren't on Android apart from games and they would be completely pointless under an emulated environment

Fourthly, a lot of people buy Android phones specifically because they run android (strange concept, I know) - either because they can do something on Android they can't do on iOS (like me wanting to partition my work Exchange mail away from my personal mail and avoid getting my phone wiped by my employer), or they simply prefer Android. Even if someone released this and it worked perfectly (which would never happen), what makes you think millions of Android users would suddenly jump to iOS? The cost of entry to iOS is no higher than Android nowadays...

If you want to run iOS get an iPhone. If you want to run Android, get an Android Phone

Invincibilizer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2011
Interesting...

If it does come out I would be willing to use it, after all I only use my ipods for the apps.

Imagining iOS on a Nexus Galaxy or GS2!!!! WOW

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008

This. People buy Apple hardware for the "it just works" principle. An Android device running a ported/emulated iOS is not going to "just work". Sure, a few die-hard techies might use it, but not the vast majority of Apple's users.

If you think that's going to happen, you obviously have no sense of who's buying Apple products. Tip: people like us are the tiny minority of Apple's customers.

Rubo Draco

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2011
I saw on twitter that someone is working on an Android emulator for iOS... Does that mean the end of Android?

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
IOS emulator for Android = Apple's end?
Doubtful. I'm not aware of any emulator that has killed anything. It's not just software that drives sales of Apple's products.

Easy as this, if i had it right now, i'd buy a Samsung phone and use the IOS apps, that's the point.
That's fine and dandy. The market isn't driven by your preferences (or that of any one person) alone. One data point does not make a trend. It doesn't even make a straight line if you remember any of your math. How much of the overall market do you represent?

Last edited:

Dewaine

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2011
Texas
Call me crazy, but I'll buy some Apple stock, and see what happens. Between the iPod/iPhone/iPad killer syndrom and other rants of doom, I have found that while the others come and go, for some reason the iPod/iPhone/iPad stay.

Maybe more sensational attention getting media? You think?

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009

In Steve Jobs's words: "This is ****."

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
Emulators for any given platform have more often than not existed on whatever the competing platform is. Not once has anyone been seriously affected by them. They are the playthings of techie nerds and not 99.9% of consumers, mostly because the experience they provide is utter crap and difficult to set up.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
I buy for the hardware, the software and the seamless experience. Not for spec sheets and giant screens. I am not alone.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
This. People buy Apple hardware for the "it just works" principle. An Android device running a ported/emulated iOS is not going to "just work". Sure, a few die-hard techies might use it, but not the vast majority of Apple's users.

If you think that's going to happen, you obviously have no sense of who's buying Apple products. Tip: people like us are the tiny minority of Apple's customers.

Not sure if that was directed toward me, but I think that's pretty much what I already said. :confused:

srazz

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010

Not to mention, there isn't another phone out there with the quality hardware as my iPhone4...except maybe the 4S.

+1

Its the hardware that really separates the iPhone from the rest. Just last night at dinner I looked over at another table and a guy had one of those Andriod phones. Well, he was poking away at the screen and then, oops. Had to remove the battery and reboot the phone. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.