iOS Flash solution

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JasonHB, Sep 9, 2011.

1. JasonHB macrumors regular

2. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

3. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Except that still rules out flash-based applications

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

so if the website does not upgrade to this new server you still can't view videos on their site?

5. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Yes - but how many websites do you know of out there using Flash Media Server?

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

to be honest i dont knwo what a media server is, i guess i was asking if you go to a site and the video is a black box saying requires flash, unless they dos somthing on their end it wont help iOS users

7. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Nail...meet coffin.

(And no, not saying it's dead yet...just another step toward the grave for Flash)

8. FloatingBones macrumors 65816

FloatingBones

This tool neither rules in nor rules out Flash-based applications.

Adobe released a tool for packaging Flash/Flex/Air apps as an iOS app. If there are exemplary apps that Flash developers think work better than the native xcode offerings, they can be brought for a head-to-head competition.

Politifact is one such app. I noted some glitches with the first release of the app in that thread, but I believe they have been addressed.

Flash-based applications are real and being approved in the App Store. I think that's a good thing. If Flash apps are superior, the marketplace -- and not Apple -- can decide that.

9. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

No victory has been achieved by anyone.

Non-video flash content still wont work and sites that don't have the new software wont work on iOS.

Consumers are still unable to use plugins on iOS.

10. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

This was announced a while ago, never the less most of the fash content I would want to see is videos. Flash apps and games aren't good for apple as they see it (especially because if it's on a web sit it takes away from the app store). So yay

11. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Good stuff, I can't wait until I can use my ipad to full use, I really don't care who "wins" or "loses", I just can't wait to finally get the full internet like everyone else has.

12. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Evidently you haven't read the article, or the comments.

13. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Apple devices should be able to stream flash video in the near future, no? I usually don't read too far into the comments because usually it is a loser on a "side" who thinks they are a general in the Apple or Flash army, all I care about is if I can view flash video on my ipad/iphone. Not sure what your point is though, I'm happy that my ipad/iphone finally will be brought up to speed.

14. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

i think the website has to want to update their server to allow iOS to view the video

15. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Basically, Flash is not really involved in this, but the Flash MEDIA server has protocols to directly stream to iOS devices.

Problem is ,I don't know many who use the Flash Server.

In reality, there will not be much differences when it comes to Flash on iOS, and Adobe isn't accepting defeat or anything.

You will still not be able to use Flash application or use most Flash websites on your iOS device.

16. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Thanks for the clarification, that's too bad. I put up with the shortcomings of my iPad because I love it so much, but regardless of who "wins" I hope a solution comes out sooner than later.

17. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

I don't have any problem with video on my iPad as it is, everything I've wanted to look at has been in html5. It's things like chat rooms or apps that I miss on there.

18. IsaacM macrumors member

Perfect. 99% of the people dont even play flash games, but want to see flash video.

Another nail in the coffin for iPad competitors. Apple runs this.

19. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I'd say the 15 million people that play the new Sims game on Facebook every day disagree with you there.

20. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

FB is coding it all to play in HTML5 anyway so who cares.

21. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

22. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

They are changing the interface specifically to make the games available to devices w/o flash. I'm sure that means each dev will have to adjust. Either way, it's happening. I don't care who writes the code.

Edit: this explains it better than my limited knowledge could.

http://www.readwriteweb.com/mobile/2011/08/html5-apps-being-spurred-by-ga.php

23. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

The link does not explain the interfacing or exactly what they're doing. It just mentions HTML5 apps and games. Having said that, from what I've played so far, HTML5 games either don't deliver, are extremely heavy on the browser, or use a lot of CPU.