iOS fluency = OS fluency?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fisher624, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Fisher624 macrumors regular

I use an iPhone and an iPad, so I am pretty fluent with iOS. I am about to switch from a PC notebook to a MacBook. I'm wondering if knowing iOS will help the transition to OS. Thanks.

2. trekkie604 macrumors 65816

trekkie604

3. deeesea macrumors 6502

lol wth?

the laptops/desktops aren't touch screen..sooo i dont see how the errr for the lack of a better word "skills" will transfer. OSX isn't "hard" to "learn". You'll get the hang of it

4. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Actually, yes it does translate.

There are various symbiotic synapses of the human system at interplay here, and I believe, in this case, you fellow humans have misplaced your attention, either misguidedly or purposedly. Either way, to answer your question more specifically, everything about the organization and logic of it translates well. You obviously understand its not touch screen, you are not a retard I assume. That was probably not really your question. The mail icon, the safari icon, and the settings icon are all familiar along with the global search aspect of it all. You will find it a very intuitive transition.

Thank you.

5. Fisher624 thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thanks Bobby. Obviously I know it's not a touchscreen. But knowing that it is similar organizationally and logically that helps. I did know there were sone shared icons/apps.

6. ikaveh macrumors regular

at least they are the same when it comes to apple's restrictions, on iphone you cant use your iphone's bluetooth you cant have iTunes alternatives like on mac you cant do several things like cutting

7. HeezyBear macrumors regular

I'm not so sure that it will work that way. My brother has been using iPhone since day one. He just got his MacBook Pro two days ago and he is lost. It's all good, though. Nothing a week or two of exploring can't help.

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Mac OS is a little bit like iOS.

Mac OS is a lot like Windows OS.

So, honestly, using that laptop of yours means way, way more than using an iPhone.

9. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

It's not. You're talking about going from a nearly completely closed down system to a fully open one. Mac OSx is not hard to learn, but it IS different than windows. Don't expect to just pick it up in two seconds. All the simple features such as browsing and basic computer navigation will come really easy, but it's when you get down to some of the root functions that you'll have to really search around to find where they are in comparison to windows.