iOS & Game Consoles

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Mr. Incredible, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Mr. Incredible macrumors 6502a

Is it possible to connect a PS3 to an iMac?

I hardly watch tv anymore, I watch all my movies and shows on my computer.

I'm thinking of selling it, and buying a ps3 with the money, and to play it on my iMac.

Is that possible?

2. dfine1966 macrumors 6502

Right now older iMacs (2010) work with the PS3. The new 2011 iMac's don't work with it yet, because of the new Thunderbolt ports. Kanex, a maker of adapters/cables are in the process of improving their product to use the Thunderbolt ports to connect to the PS3, but it might take a little while. I hope this helps. Sooner or later the 2011 versions will support it, but not right this second. If you need it now, you would have to get the 2010 version.

3. akm3 macrumors 68020

ONLY the not most recent 27" iMacs can do this. No 20, 24, or 21" iMac can do this. The current revision (added Thunderbolt iMac) can not do this.

Additionally, you'd need a converter box like the Atlona.

It's just overall a clunky idea. Also you wouldn't have audio without external speakers.

Also, the picture would be in a Window, I believe.

You would honestly save money to just buy a 27" LCD TV.

4. Mr. Incredible thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have the 2010 21.5'' iMac. So, it won't work on my version?

Only on the 27'' iMac?

This sucks, if it's true. :/

5. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

Yes, only the 27" iMac.

6. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

You could still sell your TV and buy a copy of windows and install windows on your iMac and play windows games on it.

Not quite a PS3, but a bunch of the same games.

7. Vylen macrumors 65816

or, you sell your TV, buy a PS3, and a second monitor with DVI input. Then you have a dual monitor setup with your iMac and can use the other monitor if need be to play games. You can also use your iMac screen for looking stuff up while playing.

For sound, I'm fairly certain iMacs have optical-input (in the same way they have optical-output) so use a Toslink cable to get the PS3 audio into your iMac and hear the sound out through the iMac speakers.

You could also get a monitor with HDMI input and built-in speakers, but I suspect they're a bit more costly and relatively few in number.