iOS has been boring me

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by kannesss, Nov 5, 2012.

1. kannesss macrumors 6502a

I know a lot of people have said this, but I just don't understand it. I love my iPhone, but I seriously can't wait until they completely change the UI.
    It's just boring and there's no excitement or surprise anymore. I know I could jail break it, but id really rather not mess with that and the Cydia store etc. I don't want a clown to pop out of the screen, just something less boring than the same looking OS from the iPhone 3G.

2. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

I agree it needs a GUI redesign , but Apple does not change any thing unless sales go downwards and the only place sales are going is upwards...

So no change any time soon.

3. Rodster macrumors 68040

Be patient, Jony Ive is in charge of iOS UI. We may not see any significant changes via iOS 6.1 but hopefully we will see it with iOS 7.

4. diagnostics247 macrumors member

diagnostics247

Now that Apple dropped the dude who was keeping Skeumorphism around, we may see a change sometime in the future... Maybe... At least I hope they update the Game Center and Find My Friends... GD those are ugly.

5. Sven11 macrumors 6502a

There is nothing wrong with the UI. Live widgets and other UI related features are irrelevant eye candy and would drain battery life.

6. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I wouldn't know

I'm busy doing cool things in cool apps.

7. buddybd macrumors 6502

That's so cool.

I'm bored as well, hoping for a major in iOS 7 as well.

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

So you're saying that notification badges and the live Calendar date are irrelevant eye candy?

9. Brazuca macrumors regular

Change for the sake of change?

Look at OS X. Look at Windows. Change is incremental, adding features, improving at the foundation. Why would Apple drastically change?

It has a lot of room for improvement, but change to to make it fun??

10. frayne182 macrumors 6502

I'm wanting a change as well.

Or just maybe a bit more customization. Allowing me to put shortcuts in the notifications drop down. Or a switch on the main screen for Bluetooth. Things like that.

Just making it more unique to my own tastes.

I don't need an overhaul.

11. Sven11 macrumors 6502a

I was thinking about UI related features which are currently not in iOS.

12. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

My point is that it seems as though you were arguing that "x" is bad, even though iOS has examples of "x", and now it seems as though you're arguing that "any bit more than Apple's implementation of x" is bad.

Perfectly finessed icons are also eye candy, and they're very important. Eye candy, with all else being equal, can make a huge positive difference in user interfaces. However, that depends completely on how well designed it is. I am not arguing in favor of just randomly adding animations or whatnot.

I agree that battery life is affected, but that depends on the specific examples - usually, a simple flourish has a negligible affect, and server-intensive ones have a major effect, and everything else is in the middle.

13. Theblurayfreak macrumors newbie

I completely agree with you. When widget and other features get put into the picture they alway start draining the battery life you'll get on the device.

14. tarasis macrumors 6502a

tarasis

I dont really get this, the job of the OS is really supposed to excite you, that's the job of the apps.

15. Stelv macrumors newbie

Stelv

Widgets are cool, but I couldn't use very many of them on my Android devices, because they would slow the phone way down. My screen was bascially 4 icons and 3 widgets. Still I think iOS should add at least a clock or toggle widgets.

16. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

I agree - I got a great sense of refreshment from Windows 8 - even though it does have to revert back to Windows 7 Mode again - still, the newer style is very fluid and refreshing. I would also like to see ios get a makeover.

17. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68030

OldSchoolMacGuy

Never really understood why some people care so much about the UI of iOS. I spend just a couple seconds with it any time I use my iOS devices. It's used the launch apps which is all I care about. It's the apps that make any device, not the OS itself. Who really sits and stares at their home screen for hours like we do with apps like Twitter, Facebook, and the countless other games and apps? As long as it's quick and clean to launch apps, that's all I care about.

Honestly, no one cares about your cool Mario theme yet some people think it's the coolest thing ever.

18. kannesss thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am so excited for iOS 7. I believe jony Ives design will change everything up in the UI industry as it did in the tech design industry.

19. Parise macrumors 6502a

Parise

I love when you guys claim things are "irrelevant" because YOU dont find them necessary.

----------

Opinion: A view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

20. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

The problem is that I don't want to unlock my phone and then open 10 different apps to get that specific information. What can't I just unlock my phone and that information is aggregated for me without having to launch each specific app? The App-at-a-time paradigm is the part of the UI that I find frustrating.

21. LearnIIBurn macrumors member

I want one change so bad. A wifi toggle in the notification center. That is all.

So simple. My god... please add it to non-jailbroken iOS. I literally jailbreak for SBSettings.

Also being able to select how long I want the snooze duration to be on my phone would be killer too. 10 mins is awkward for me.

22. max pl macrumors regular

This so bad!

23. Parise macrumors 6502a

Parise

Siri can find me movie tickets but can't understand "Turn off wifi" :(

24. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Dont think you understand the purpose of an OS. Infinity Blade and Real Racing are supposed to be exciting, go have fun,

25. Parise macrumors 6502a

Parise

I dont think the purpose of an operating system is to make you jump through hoops to perform basic tasks.