iOS hotspot connection

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by Nox82, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Nox82 macrumors newbie

Will your iOS devices disconnected from another iOS hotspot (disable auto lock on this device) once the display goes into sleep?

2. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

When I use my iPad with my iPhone hotspot I don't even remove my phone from my pocket most of the time. The hotspot connection will work with the phone display on or off.

3. minato21 macrumors regular

I always use hotspot for my computer, hotspot never turns off unless I switch it off manually.

4. Nox82 thread starter macrumors newbie

I mean if you ever let your iPad goes into sleep mode (locked), will the iPad WiFi connection dropped?

5. Nox82 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm testing on iPhone physically. My iPhone will go into sleep mode (auto lock after 1 min), the hotspot connection will drop.

If I keep on using the iPhone, the connection will stay on which is not an issue.

6. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Yes. Not right away but pretty soon after. The timeout is about 5 minutes in my experience if you let the iPad go to sleep during use.

7. Nox82 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not sure but previously I used a Lumia 925 as an internet hotspot for my iPhone 6s and the connection will never be dropped even the iPhone goes into sleep mode.

But now I use an iPhone 4 as an internet hotspot (replacing Lumia) and the iPhone 6s WiFi will drop once it goes into sleep mode.

Strange but wonder what is the logic behind.

8. Stickharuhi macrumors regular

Mabye bug? Has you test current iOS version? This is normal when the hotspot is not connect. Then got to stanby mode and is off

9. Nox82 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tested with iphone 4 (iOS 7.1.2), 6s (iOS 9.1) and 6s+(iOS 9.1) all showing same result.

I don't have Lumia with me again to test.

But the result seems like the connecting devices problem rather than the hotspot device because as long as the connecting device is active the wifi will stay on.

10. cynics macrumors G4

Do you use "Instant Hotspot"? I don't even wake up my iPhone to connect to its wifi so technically it's already asleep...

11. Nox82 thread starter macrumors newbie

No it's the Personal Hotspot under General setting.

My phone can connect to my home wifi with no issue even after sleep. No issue also when connecting to Lumia hotspot. The only problem is when connecting to another iOS devices hotspot.

12. cynics macrumors G4

Not sure, have you tried doing a reset on all devices?

I connected my iPad Air 2 (9.1) to my 6S (9.1) via wifi hotspot and let both devices fall asleep. Unlocked the iPad and it's still connected, I'm actually typing this on that connection now.

13. Stickharuhi macrumors regular

The user from post here. Said: I'm testing on iPhone physically. My iPhone will go into sleep mode (auto lock after 1 min), the hotspot connection will drop.

Please test 1min in standby mode or longer. Comes same issue?

14. Nox82 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok lets me summaries...

Scenario 1
    Personal hotspot: iPhone 4 iOS 7.1.2
    Connecting device: iPhone 6s+ iOS 9.1
    Result: iPhone 6s+ wifi drop on screen lock

Scenario 2
    Personal hotspot: iPhone 6s iOS 9.1
    Connecting device: iPhone 6s+ iOS 9.1
    Result: iPhone 6s+ wifi drop on screen lock

Scenario 3
    Personal hotspot: iPhone 6s+ iOS 9.1
    Connecting device: iPhone 6s iOS 9.1
    Result: iPhone 6s wifi drop on screen lock

Scenario 4
    Personal hotspot: iPhone 6s+ iOS 9.1
    Connecting device: iPhone 4 iOS 7.1.2
    Result: iPhone 6s+ wifi stay on screen lock

p/s: auto lock 1 min

Perhaps someone can replicate above and test with android/windows mobile devices.

15. stusgt67 macrumors regular

stusgt67

Quite simple really, it's to save data. That's why it drops. It should reconnect again when you unlock the device. It's meant to be a temporary connection.