iOS iCloud backup and message sync - redundant??

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by chombiekay, Jun 30, 2017.

1. chombiekay macrumors member

hi! when iCloud does a backup, it also backs up messages. i have message sync on as well.

i understand message sync keeps the messages across all devices, but this really means that iCloud doesn't really need to back up messages anymore in it's package that it uploads correct?

basically it's wasting twice the space on iCloud.

2. Yun0 macrumors 65816

Yun0

no its not wasting space, one is a backup & one is icloud syncing..

if u dont like it then turn it off it has a toggle so all are pleased..

3. chombiekay thread starter macrumors member

hi mate. i apologize if i wasn't clear. what i meant was if iCloud syncing is on, then backup (with messaging inclusive) is redundant. the iCloud sync for messaging is already the backup since it stores it completely on the cloud as well. there should be a feature within backup to exclude messaging if iCloud is taking care of it as a separate function versus throwing it in with the term, 'backup.'

i love iCloud sync. i am just pointing out something that can be further fixed to improve space efficiency.

4. Yun0 macrumors 65816

Yun0

they are 2 very different features..i dont really see an issue here

5. chombiekay thread starter macrumors member

i think i may be getting confused. i thought all the messages were automatically stored in the backup and then there was a separate messages back up (via sync). so i thought this was getting saved twice to iCloud, when in reality, i think it's only being saved once.

6. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Do you have :apple:Music or Match? Music is synced through iCloud but it is NOT an 'extra' backup. The same can be said for syncing all iWork documents, Notes, Photos, Reminders, etc.

7. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I think my question is related to this, it sounds like if I were to restore my iPhone as new, that all my messages would be available on the new device? In the past there was no way to retrieve messages except to back up and then restore from that backup.

8. ryxn, Jul 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2017

ryxn macrumors regular

ryxn

If you have iCloud backup enabled, this is correct. I don't think as it stands, iCloud message sync backups any data. It merely acts as a mechanism to communicate changes made on one Apple device to another. People are saying it does not backup messages, but I've heard conflicting information.

This is my understanding - message sync is only relevant to you if you have multiple Apple devices, not just an iPhone. If you lost your iPhone and didn't back up your messages, you would lose them completely. However, if you lost your iPhone and also had an iPad, both of which did not have backup enabled, but DID have message sync enabled, your messages would sync over to the iPhone. That is my understanding, but I may be wrong.

9. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

This will be a nice feature. I use messages for work info so never am able to restore as new, which even if it's not necessary I like to do sometimes. Thanks for the quick answer

10. ryxn macrumors regular

ryxn

I edited my original post to reflect some changes - so unfortunately my answer may not be satisfactory to you. I could very well be wrong though!

11. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I think the edited post is more likely to be how it works, makes more sense. People would cry about messages being saved somewhere. I wish it would backup/sync/restore all through iCloud though. Even to be able to go to iCloud.com to check them if you lose your phone or something would be a cool idea.

12. profets macrumors 601

Hmm, the way I understood it is that messages are synced to your iCloud account, so they're saved along with other items. Similar to the way iCloud Photo Library works.

13. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

That's what I'm hoping for

14. profets macrumors 601

Just looking at it on the iPad I’m testing iOS 11 with, I’m pretty sure this is the case.

Looking in manage storage for iCloud, Messages shows as it’s own item there now too.

So what you’re looking for I think would work - say you want to restore a device like new, once you sign in with your Apple ID all message history will show up.

Attached Files:

15. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Nice. Sounds like it might work. This will be great if it works

16. profets macrumors 601

I think it will, but like with all things in the beta, probably best to wait until final to test it out.

17. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

For sure. Although I might give it a try on my iPad after a few Betas;).

18. profets macrumors 601

Actually I guess it doesn't hurt. I've been using iOS 11 on a secondary iPad, and while I didn't intentionally attempt to use iCloud for iMessage syncing, it does show it has been syncing and has 6GB worth. I guess I could test it out by setting up a spare device with iOS 11 (without restoring from a backup) and see how Messages behaves.

19. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

If you do, let me know, I'd appreciate it. It's not a big deal though, either way when it comes out it'll work or it won't :)

20. mariusignorello macrumors 65816

iCloud for iMessage syncs your Messages databases across devices. iCloud Backup backs up the common synced database. That way, you don’t have multiple Messages databases being backed up.

21. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

I had to restore my iPad because it got stuck in a reboot loop on Beta 1. I set it up as new and when I signed into iCloud and iMessage, my entire message history back to around 2010 showed up in Messages.

22. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

That's great. Thanks

23. .klo macrumors newbie

I doubt that the messages will be in your backup as well as syncing. iCloud photo library removed photos from your backup, contacts are not in your backup if they are syncing...same as notes. It is one of the main thing beside photos that anyone wants from their backup and if their backup is corrupted, or their user, these messages were always lost. It appears redundant at this moment as it appears to have disappeared from the main release