iOS in cars. Make it happen Apple

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aohus, Jul 23, 2010.

1. aohus macrumors 68000

Similar to Microsoft's Sync program, I feel Apple should integrate their OS into cars. A lot of the 'control center' in cars have mediocre UI and are awfully inefficient.

I know Apple cares a lot about its looks (image), but I feel its time they branch out and dominate in other fields.

They dont even have to make it touch screen, just provide the software and engineer it well to the car manufacturers specifications.

2. marcoVU macrumors newbie

3. Sinfire macrumors regular

Buy a new BMW and you should be able to get the nice iPod interface on your iDrive screen when it is hooked up to your iPhone.

4. aohus thread starter macrumors 68000

sadly i have last years model, which prevents me from utilizing iOS integration into BMW's idrive.

5. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

If someone's driving a new BMW, chances are it's not such a big deal to upgrade to the latest iThing so it will work with their car.

6. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

yep all you need is maybe a 30' sync cable.:eek:

jk

7. Phokus macrumors regular

iOS would make a terrible OS for a car... it's basically an app launcher. Android would be far more suitable because a) it's far more customizable and b) iphone's voice recognition is absolutely atrocious while android's is superb.

Does iOS even have google navigation yet?

8. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

9. llarson macrumors member

Troll

Andriod Fanboys always point to customizable. For a car you want basic functions and ease of use.

Last thing a manufacture wants is people hacking the OS to customize it and then crashing the in car system.

I have no idea if the iOS would be good as an in car OS but I know finding one people can customize isn't a high priority for manufactures.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I'm driving my 5th Acura. The last 2 got tech and UI right. Very Apple-like.

11. Phokus macrumors regular

So what you're saying is that manufacturers are going to want the iOS app launcher screen as the default start screen? Get outa here! :D

An OS for a car is not EVER going to look like the iOS on an iphone.

Plus, as i said, the voice recognition software on the iphone is complete garbage compared to the android phone. Good luck getting iOS to recognize what you're saying when you want to switch music track or get directions somewhere.

12. llarson macrumors member

2006 Mercedes R350

I added a cradle and an iTronics module to my car.

Have hands free phone using the steering wheel buttons and can play my music thru the stereo and the display shows me songs.

Can also play Pandora thru the speakers and use the ATT GPS with voice thru the speakers.

Cradle charges and is in easy reach of my hand and eyes.

13. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

Heh. If apple designed a car then you probably wouldn't be able to use standard gasoline pumps, or tires on it. They would require special adapters to fill up at the gas station and you would only be able to drive it on apple store approved roads

14. llarson macrumors member

Ah didn't know you were in the car industry

Not ever why?

Gps app, pandora/Sat app and many others seems to me, not being a car designer, that a screen that looks and acts like the iOS wouldn't be all that bad.

As for the voice recognition seems to me that this could be over come if some one wanted to make the iOS run on voice recognition.

Not being a pro on in car systems I can't say the iOS would be a good fit and or that the Andriod system would be better or worse.

How you can say it would is a mystery.

15. llarson macrumors member

As I said TROLL

Some one let the troll out from under the bridge.
    :)

16. aohus thread starter macrumors 68000

goddamnit, when i said iOS integrated into a car's dashboard, i dont mean a literal port of the iOS into a car. /me facepalms...

what im saying is that, because Apple is tremendously good at keeping things simple and easy interface-wise, it would be a given to integrate their software into automobiles from a business perspective.

17. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Just duct-tape an iPad to somewhere near the front fans =).

Personally I just want the car makers to at least provide some sort of auxiliary video-in, and I'll be pretty damn happy.

18. aohus thread starter macrumors 68000

that would definitely not pass government regulations. can you imagine the number of increased traffic accidents due to this?

19. chembox macrumors 6502a

Now there's more distracted drivers to worry about. :(