Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dallardice

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Have a recurring issue with my iPad when updating. It's a 256GB iPad showing 95.28GB free. Yet when trying to download a 5.84GB update, I get the error "Unable to download update - there is insufficient space to download the update." Firstly, the error isn't insufficient space to install, it's insufficient space to even download. The biggest item on my iPad is 110GB of music - but I have "Optimise Storage" set to 32GB, so the iPad should "automatically remove music that you haven't played in a while...if your iPad is low on space". So even if it did need more, why not just grab it from music?

I've previously resolved this by doing a forced restart, but that hasn't worked this time. I'm reluctant to manually unload the Music app because of the time it would take to re-download the music, especially if it doesn't fix the problem. I don't have a suitable computer to hand to try the update that way. Any ideas?

Reactions: southnorth

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Is there any other app that takes up a lot of storage space that you can delete temporary?
I know you should be able to download and install but since it throws that message it might be worth a try.

Is there any other old downloaded installation that can be deleted (check under storage)?
Is the device jailbreaked?

Other than that I would just see if I can get hold of a computer and install it via cable, not optimal but this might be a but that's solved when updating (when the next update is available).

dallardice

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
I've cleared most stuff out already in trying to resolve this so next is Photos with only 3.56GB, so there doesn't seem to be much point in doing anything with that. No previous installation in Storage, device not jailbroken.

I think a cable is probably the way to go but that will be next week before I get the chance. As I said, it's been happening for the last few releases but this is the only one I haven't been able to resolve. Infuriating...

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
I've cleared most stuff out already in trying to resolve this so next is Photos with only 3.56GB, so there doesn't seem to be much point in doing anything with that. No previous installation in Storage, device not jailbroken.

I think a cable is probably the way to go but that will be next week before I get the chance. As I said, it's been happening for the last few releases but this is the only one I haven't been able to resolve. Infuriating...
You could try and do a "reset of all settings", its just a guess from my side and not saying I have any experience or read that it will solve this particular issue.

Just for the sake of trying you could try and download a large file to your ipad, just to see if that can be saved or if it complains on the free storage. Download the latest Windows 11 release, that's around 8GB I think and one large file.

dallardice

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Just for the sake of trying you could try and download a large file to your ipad, just to see if that can be saved or if it complains on the free storage. Download the latest Windows 11 release, that's around 8GB I think and one large file.
Thanks for the idea. I was able to successfully download a 50GB test file and then delete it. I had hoped that might clear out any detritus hanging around on my iPad, but after deleting the 50GB test file, the 5.84GB update still failed with the "insufficient space" error...

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Probably time to do a backup, then factory restore (the restore will download the latest update, then erase the iPad stprage, then reload that latest iPadOS system. Final step will ask if you want to leave as a clean install, or reload from your backup)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.