iPhone iOS ipsw question

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by iphone2g&3gfan, Jul 17, 2013.

1. iphone2g&3gfan macrumors member

Hi guys,

This is a (hopefully) quick question. I want to know what detail(s) tell itunes what specific iDevice the ipsw is for. Does anybody have a comment or answer for me? Any answer will be really helpful.
    EDIT: I hope I posted in the right place, because I could not find a relevant place for this.

Greetings,

iphone2g&3gfan

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes, just look at the name of the IPSW. It'll be something like iPhone4,1_iOS5.1.1.IPSW. That's for an iPhone 4S because the 4S' model number is 4,1.

3. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

It's not the file name that tells iTunes what version the firmware is if that's what you're asking

It's a file within the ipsw, not sure if the file is just "version" and requires just a plist editor to view

But I believe if you edit it, it changes something (I believe the hash sum or something) and iTunes won't verify the restore

If you're asking how to identify it yourself, then intell above has the answer

4. iphone2g&3gfan thread starter macrumors member

Inside the ipsw

Hi to everyone that replied.

I was trying to say like in what file INSIDE the ipsw tells itunes to accept or refuse it for your iDevice you have. And if it is a file, what key or phrase or any text tells itunes what iDevice it is for.

I also have an iphone 2g and a 3g.

I hope this helped,

iphone2g&3gfan

5. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Are you trying to put iOS 6 or 7 on one of your devices?

If so, I've never heard of successfully being able to fool the firmware restore process.

And otherwise, I have no idea, I'm not sure this is something that can easily be found out..

6. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

The BuildManifest.plist lists what device a specific firmware can restore to, and the build number, and the Restore.plist also lists what device the firmware can restore to.

However you cannot edit any of those files and then flash it to your device. The hash sum will be changed when you edit the file, causing a restore or update to fail to verify.

7. iphone2g&3gfan thread starter macrumors member

You are correct

Well, you are right, but someone said that you could edit that manifest file to make it work, but he also said that itunes will fail to verify. Is there a way to skip verification, or a whole other way to make the restore be forced to work?

8. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

There is no way. It is impossible to install either of those OS's on your devices.

9. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

What don't you ask that someone if he says it works?

10. iphone2g&3gfan thread starter macrumors member

Well it was someone from another forum that claims he was able to install an iPhone 3G 3.1.2 onto a 2G, therefore identifying the device as an iphone 3g.

11. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

He is full of ****. :D

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's not possible.
    The different phones firmware will never install and 2nd the iphone 2G will never be identifying as iphone 3G.
    Pretty much BS.

13. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Exactly, it was claims by someone from another forum. People here told you that it's not working but you insist.