iOS is incredibly frustrating

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by TechThule, Jul 27, 2015.

1. TechThule macrumors newbie

TechThule

I just discovered that I lost two years of data from my Notes on my iPad2.

I realize that Apple is trying to simplify the user experience, but I am accustomed to having more control over my data and I find Apple's efforts to take care of it for me incompetent.

I subscribed to iTunes Match but quit because I didn't have control over my files.

I tried iPhoto then Photo, but found my photos duplicated over and over until it chewed up my iCloud 20gb storage.

I realized with my first iPad that it was just a toy. Can anyone use Pages for serious word processing?

It is a great toy for reading and videos, but I am very frustrated that I can't even rely on it for file integrity.

2. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

You have to know your limitations :cool: or your devices limitations :eek:

I've had iDevices since day 2 and have never relied on iPads to do "real" work. iPhones have been pushed to 2nd tier by the OS for me. Maybe the new stuff coming out will change things. Maybe. (yes, I have become disillusioned with iOS devices:()

3. I7guy macrumors G5

I'm not disillusioned with iOS but these mobile devices are 2nd tier to me. Answer an email, navigate, etc sure. Write a business proposal no way; those chores are for my laptop. The iPad though is a great gotomypc device.

I've never lost anything in 4 years of iOS ownership. Ymmv.

4. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

I find my iPad is great when I'm traveling like on business trips to do mail, read books, web browsing etc. I wouldn't try and create a real sizable document on it.
    I think the problem with things like Match and iCloud stuff is there isn't really good instructions on how to use: I want to do x - do these things; I want to do y - do these things. Apple has never been great on manuals or instructions and that was fine when the world was simpler. Now what ever they have is assuming you want to do it all not do what you were doing but with the new tools - like Photo - I just want to make sure all photos and videos are on all my Apple devices but I don't want to store all photos in the cloud - it would cost me too much - I keep backups anyway.

5. frazzm737 macrumors regular

frazzm737

I have never thought of my iPad as anything but an extension of my computer. I use it for a multitude of things, but never for anything important that must be saved. I rely on the computer for documents, photos and other information that I want to be sure is preserved. And I never rely on cloud services. I back up important information to hard drive or DVD. I wouldn't call the iPad a toy, but many use it for that purpose.

6. Pelaminoskep macrumors member

Pelaminoskep

I use Dropbox for file management on IOS devices and PC's alike. Never lose files, photo's or anything. Plus, everything is available anywhere. Also, there is great support for dropbox from a great number of apps. I did buy 1TB of memory, sets me back 10€ per month, but to me personally, it's more than worth it.

7. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

The OP didn't ask for help. If he wants help he can ask specific questions about what he wants to do. He most likely lost notes because he didn't understand how it works...but we'd have to admit it's common for users to screw up such things.

I don't use word processors on iOS but I'd think that with a bluetooth keyboard they'd be at least as good as a typewriter.