iOS (it just works?) and expensive hardware?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Lodesman, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Lodesman macrumors regular

Lodesman

Just where is Apple going ?

Ridiculously expensive iPhone hardware combined with poorly functioning IOS software doesn't sound a good combination to me.

This, combined with the fact that my iMac cannot handle many of my third party Programs/apps, is giving me cause for concern.

There is just the faintest niggling question forming in the back of my mind that Apple is wobbling on the perch and, unless they get their act together, their market share will decline.

I know that modern tech is fearsomely complex but they are meant to be the best - unfortunately, at the moment, they are not.

2. Oridus macrumors 6502a

Lol. You win the nets.

3. macUser2007 macrumors 65832

What goes up, can go down, so past performance is for the birds.

iOS 8 is much better than 7, but it is still not as good as Android Kit Kat.

Android is simply more polished and more robust (I use both daily, and until Android 4.1 I could not stand the look of Android). But nowadays Android OS is also almost as well designed as iOS 8, and Android L looks like it will catch up (Google has been investing in design, for a change).

The iPhone 6+ camera is better than anything I've seen on the Android side. It's great.

The fingerprint sensor is better than anything similar on the Android side, too.

But the design of the iPhone 6 is not all that great, compared to the 4, 5 and 5S. It's more "Android" too, and unlike the OS functionality, that's not a good thing.

4. Lodesman thread starter macrumors regular

Lodesman

I agree, you're only as good as your last piece of kit/software.

As a longtime iPhone user and a recent OSX convert, I am pretty unimpressed with the package at the moment.

Of course I will stick with IOS and OSX (cannot afford not to after forking out for the kit) but down the line I suspect that the differences between Apple and Android/Windows will narrow and the decision then (4-5 years time) will be difficult.

5. kleistra macrumors newbie

i don't get the point of posting a graph that goes up to 2010, the year of Ipad 1...

6. matttye macrumors 601

And it doesn't even say what it's showing.

But hey it's a climbing graph so it must be good right?!

7. lwood1 macrumors 6502

Answers the OP's question of where Apple is going. ;)

----------

They must not teach economics in England.

It does say what it's showing and yes it must be good. :rolleyes:

8. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

Apple, like many corporations, enjoy massive profit, and then lose focus.

9. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I trust Apple to make it right. It might take a whole literation of iOS and OS X to do so, but I'll gladly hold out for it.

10. X-X macrumors 6502

Hey lwood1,

stock rise doesn't say ANYTHING.

Remember?

[​IMG]

A few years later Apple was about to shut down.

11. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

I agree. I use both KitKat and iOS 8 and KitKat right now is the better OS, and more stable.

I was looking at the 6 and 6+ last night. The 6+ display looks great. But I don't want a phone that huge. I would have bought a 6 but the display looks like garbage compared to the 6+, and compared to other Android phones.

For all that money for the 6 and they couldn't put a modern display? I was at a mall kiosk so could hold the phone right up against other Android phones. iPhone 6 display is washed out blurry junk to anyone with good eyes, and my eyes aren't even that good.

Sad Apple, very sad Apple.

12. lwood1 macrumors 6502

I disagree. Stock price and the amount of money Apple has in the bank. I think they are doing just fine, x-x.

13. I7guy macrumors G5

That said, I would buy an iphone 6 in a heartbeat than anything running android.

14. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

I get that, I really do. But the iPhone 6 display is GARBAGE. It's insane that they couldn't put a good display in that phone. I'm just shocked.

15. CB1234 macrumors 6502a

CB1234

I am shocked too.... About 8 million people bought GARBAGE in the last week....

16. Altimax98 macrumors 6502

Altimax98

How is it garbage? You mean not going to diminishing returns by putting a 400+ ppi screen in the device?

I had an M8 and went to the 6 and I do not notice a single difference, except that the iPhones display is calibrated properly. (Not that the M8 is bad per-say but the iPhone color calibration is better to me)

1080p on a sub 5in screen takes more GPU/Battery power then it is worth. Personally Performance/Thinness > PPI

17. X-X macrumors 6502

And then they went to MacDonalds to eat a quality meal.

18. Solver macrumors 6502a

Funny how some say it is garbage and some some say it is the best LED display out there.

19. CB1234 macrumors 6502a

CB1234

I know..... Some people don't have their priorities right do they ?

Imagine wasting money on QUALITY meal so that they could buy GARBAGE....

I guess 20 to 30 million other idiots will end up buying GARBAGE by end of the year.....

20. AddisonIII macrumors regular

Just how many of those 8 million who bought actually used it in hand before Ponying up the Bucks. Way to many of us who like their Apple products buy them blindly. That said many are now questioning why they did it.

21. CB1234 macrumors 6502a

CB1234

Okie dokie..... I am happy you know many of these 8 million people.... Power to you.....

22. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

Maybe you mean the 6+? Certainly not the 6.

23. macUser2007 macrumors 65832

My 6 Plus display is awesome.

But my overall experience has been getting more and more frustrating, mostly because of iOS8.

3rd party keyboards were the biggest change I was waiting for, but the restrictions Apple has placed on the developers, like no voice dictation, random reverting to the stock keyboard, inability to use 3rd party keyboards in apps like Messages, are making the user experience unacceptable. Why the stupid restrictions?

The camera is really great, but it doesn't do widescreen, which is the aspect ration virtually all TVs and monitors use today. Idiotic.

The widget implementation is like a poor man's Android, circa 2012. I don't even like widgets all that much, but who designed this thing?

It feels like a half-baked OS and it is falling further behind Android. Apple is basically lucky that most Android manufacturers still cannot do good design, but with the onslaught of Chinese brands starting to expand their markets, 2015 may be a different year.

Overall, I am getting more frustrated with iOS 8 the more I use it. If I could install Android on the 6+, I'd do it in a second.

24. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

KitKat was announced over a year ago and debuted on October 31, 2013. iOS 8 has been out for about a week and is a .0 release so that's expected.

With that said, having participated in both iOS 7 & 8's developer preview I think both initial releases were rushed to meet a deadline. Ignoring the problems with 8.0.1, why not wait a week and release that build as 8.0? It's not like there's any "surprise" hardware out there. And no, that's not open ended. :)

Maybe the hardware guy isn't such a good software guy after all? </snarkycomment>