iOS Lock Screen Notifications

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by French, Jun 25, 2011.

1. French, Jun 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2011

French macrumors regular

This came up in a completely unrelated post...

It was mentioned that with iOS 5 and notifications turned on, that the notifications will light up the screen. That is all well and fine during normal wake hours, but at night I see it being a problem.

As it is if you don't want to hear tones at night you have to mute the phone, which I do (and sometimes forget to undo in the a.m.). But unless there is something built into iOS 5 that allows me to program notifications and sounds turning off during certain hours, I guess now that means I'll also have to manually turn off notifications every night?

I'm not trying to sound whiney, but for those of us that sleep with the iPhone on the nightstand or use it as an alarm clock, without a way to program the alerts on and off it becomes a clunky issue. It would mean every night you have to now mute the phone and change the settings to turn notifications off, and then turn both back on in the a.m.

I know it doesn't sound like that big of a deal, but as polished as so many other things are on the iPhone this, to me, is an oversight. I don't want to have to turn things off and on every night and every morning of every day.

Am I missing an easy solution (other than getting a phone that isn't an iPhone)? Jailbreak is not an option for me because of work.

ETA: It is important to me that my phone not be completely turned off at night because if someone is trying to reach me via phone call in the middle of the night, that means it's important and I need to get the call.

2. Icedog macrumors member

One of the few things I actually miss from the old Windows Mobile 6.x phones. At least with email you could schedule 'peak' hours.

3. French thread starter macrumors regular

Blackberry as well...that is you could schedule a sleep mode for notifications to not disturb you. Or maybe it was a profile...that you could set up to come on at a certain time. But point is you could do it natively on Blackberry. And while Android didn't have it built in natively, there are apps on the market you can get that will give you the functionality.

4. erictooth macrumors newbie

I just leave my phone on airplane mode all night. What's wrong with doing that?

Update: Just saw you updated your post about receiving phone calls during the night, so never mind.

5. Kubus macrumors regular

I generally do this too. Don't care to be bothered with notifications. If someone wants me they can call the house.

Edit: If you really don't want to put it on airplane mode you could always shut off cellular data and then you only get texts and calls.

6. Nrwrit3r macrumors 6502a

I mean this is why people jailbreak, so that they can customize the phone howt hey want it.

7. shandyman Suspended

notifications have always lit the screen up, there is nothing new with iOS5 in this respect, if you've had an iPhone for a coupla years then you'd know this.

if you don't want notifications over night, turn the phone off, or place it screen down, it's not that hard to do, i do the latter most of the time, even if i don't, the screen lighting up and it making a little noise doesn't disturb me.

Edit: didn't see the edit the OP did. like the guy above said, just turn cellular data off.

8. French thread starter macrumors regular

I want to jailbreak...I really do. It's just not something I can do. My work checks for jailbreak and if I have it I don't pass IT screening and I can't access my work email. I don't want to carry a Blackberry and a personal phone.

Having said that, I am also coming from Android and honestly I'm kind of tired of tinkering. I just want my phone to work. Reliably. So even if I could jailbreak I'm not sure if I would. Thought I can't deny it is VERY tempting. I try very hard to avoid the jailbreak threads and even with that, here and there I see an app name dropped and when I read what it can do I find myself wishing I could use it.

There are definitely some glaring deficiencies with iOS. Admittedly that can be said of all the OSs.

9. French thread starter macrumors regular

Text messages I have noticed do, but emails don't. Thankfully I'm of the age group I don't have friends that would be texting me in the middle of the night. Unfortunately emails I can't control. Tons hit the inbox in the middle of the night from all those email robots out there.

I'm sure I'll figure out how to work with it...but part of the reason for this post was also to confirm there is no OS fix other than turning things on and off manually (or jailbreak).

ETA: Kubus...didn't see your suggestion initially. Thanks. Will there be a widget for that? ;)

10. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Much like a choice between a bubble and a banner, there should be a per app setting to light the screen or not.

But iOS lacks profiles in a major way. There should be switchable profiles that you can configure how pretty much everything behaves. There should also be timed problems, that auto switch.

11. French thread starter macrumors regular

I'd even settle for widgets to control settings (on/off)
    Cellular
    GPS
    Bluetooth
    Wifi
    Ringer
    Notifications

But I don't think we'll be seeing those either.

12. Kubus macrumors regular

This is the best workaround for now... In terms of widgets, we'll have to see... Some people have hacked the Notifications Centre to add things but that isn't following anything that Apple has allowed yet. I guess we play the waiting game to see what they will open up for us.

13. Delta-NC macrumors member

Delta-NC

if I understand you correctly your issue is that the screen may come on in the middle of the night and wake you from your sleep? Well sir I have the solution for you!

It's quite technical but I'm sure you can manage! :D

When at night you put the phone down on your night stand, lift it back up in the air about 10cm, flip it 180°, put it back down.

The surface on which it is now placed should absorb the large steam of photons emitted during the notification process. ;)

Or put a bag over it! That's what I do with my face! :D

On a serious note, it would be useful to allow scheduling. :)

14. Kubus macrumors regular

Im not going to lie, I would love scheduling of sound profiles. For example when Im at work I would like the phone to be on silent and same thing during the night. Loud profile the rest of the time unless I over-ride it by flipping the switch.

15. bbhegedus macrumors regular

bbhegedus

I dont understand why the fact that the screen lights up at night if you get a notification is an issue? Try turning down your brightness if it's that disturbing, but you do sleep with your eyes closed dont you? :p How does it disturb you?

16. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I just place my phone face down.

17. French thread starter macrumors regular

I am a madam thank you very much! I need my beauty sleep, hence why this is such a dilemma. ;)

18. French thread starter macrumors regular

I guess I have thin eyelids?

When the alarm goes off, does it not display time, SNOOZE button, etc. It would be nice to be able to see/touch that without having to fumble around trying to find it on the nightstand to turn it over.

Clearly my expectations of iOS are too high. I'll adjust. I just don't think I should have to.

19. bbhegedus macrumors regular

bbhegedus

Yeah sorry, Apple just isn't able to accommodate every single person's need or else they'd never sleep! Feel free to posts your woes here: http://www.apple.com/feedback/

20. Dorv macrumors regular

Did you ever address the suggestion of just placing the phone face down?

Kinda seems like a no brainer to me :)

21. French thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I did...in the text you quoted. I have a stand I put the phone in and that's so I can easily slide the alarm off or tap the snooze button. Face down means trying to find it, pick it up, turn it over and then slide or tap.

Look, I know this sounds all nit picky and what-not. I'm glad so many are willing to "settle". I will also end up "settling". But I would venture to say that if what I am inquiring about existed in the OS a good many of you that have found workarounds would gladly use the functionality.

And 2 out of 3 of the OSs I've used in the last year had the capability. I miss it.

22. French thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the link. I did provide feedback. Although I picked iPhone and typed out my comments and in the drop down list the only OSs I could choose were Mac OS or Windows. But I did try.

23. Kubus macrumors regular

Thats just for the OS you run on your computer. If you run Linux etc then its not supported by Apple and thats why its not on the list. If you were looking for iOS5 or iOS in general then thats not what the question is asking.

That part of the question doesn't have anything to do with your feedback but just provides Apple with a bit more background about your situation. Disregard it and pick whatever.

24. shandyman Suspended

surely the fact the alarm going off is a good indication of the time since you set the alarm? and also you can use the sleep/wake button at the top as the snooze button, i've done that since the 1st gen, failing that, is it really that much of a mazw or an effort to find it on the night stand? lol.

next people will be complaining that their iPhone doesn't tell them when they've run out of milk, doesn't make their coffee or walk the dog....

Other people aren't settling, they're applying some common sense and logic.......

25. French thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, yeah you are right...I TOTALLY forgot to mention that it's completely unreasonable that my iPhone doesn't tell me to remember to brush my teeth and take a shower. How DARE I even think that having the ability to use a profile or program notifications would be nice. Or widgets. Sheesh...Sadly I expected to see responses such as this on this forum.

I didn't know about the top button...I do appreciate that helpful part of your response. The rest I could have done without.