iOS looking a little stale

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Aragornii, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Aragornii macrumors 6502

Anyone else think that iOS on the iPhone is looking a little old? I think that Galaxy S4 is ugly as sin, but have to admit the os looks much cooler than the iPhone.

It's been years now, Apple, and we're on the 5th gen iphone. Time for a facelift.

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

It looks just like any other icon based OS.

Im having a hard time seeing this huge difference between iOS and Android that people talk about. They both look like different artistic approaches to the same exact icon/folder touchscreen layout to me.

3. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

Customize your phone, look in the jailbreaking section...

4. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

I don't care about how it looks. I'm far more interested in functionality.

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

That seems to be what drives most of these iOS UI posts. It's not that they are asking for an overhaul, its that they don't realize all they are saying is "I want to customize my phone icons".

I used to be big into that scene. Changing themes gets really old really fast.

6. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

I think after all the new wears off any new phone, this is what people realize. While iOS hasn't had a facelift in years is due to it's functionality from day one. Yes, people will complain about not having a damn toggle for wifi. Always will. I have a Nexus 3 and after a lot of time put into finding a good ROM, it still isn't as efficient as my iPhone.

7. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Even more stale than iOS are all these threads complaining about how stale it is.

8. panda bear macrumors 68000

panda bear

Maybe i'm weird, but the OS on a phone or tablet to me is just a portal into my apps.

And for the most part, apps are generally beautifully designed on iOS.

About 95% of the time spent out of apps, my phone is either on its way to going into an app or the screen is locked. The other 5% of the time, I forget to lock it and it sits on the home screen and no one is looking at it anyway.

9. Zetaprime macrumors 65816

I have an Android tablet (Google Nexus 7 with Android Jellybean OS 4.2.2) in addition to my Apple gear. After having used it for quite a while now I have to say that iOS is a lot smoother and more intuitive than the Android OS. iOS doesn't seem in any way "stale" compared to Android, which, on the Nexus is the very latest version you can get.

10. Daysight macrumors regular

Works for me. I was an interface tweaker for years until I grew up, got a life and just wanted my computers to be portals to help get things done.

11. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Anyone else think these types of threads are looking a little old? I mean there are so many more cooler threads than this one that's been done at least a few times over the last few days.

12. iCole macrumors regular

Stock Android may look more fresh/interesting/new/flashy but TouchWiz looks even more stale then iOS. Not bad, just meh.

13. phillytim macrumors 6502a

phillytim

THIS. Functionality > Facade ANY FREAKIN' DAY.

People really need to do what they need to do on their devices, get their noses out of it when unnecessary so they can find a life!

14. TC03 macrumors 65816

I think you are wrong, Android looks way more stale than iOS. iOS is way more elegant than Android, with nice detailed graphics.

15. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Are they really that different. Both have their app icons in a basic grid on home screen.

It's a little less cluttered on S4 because homescreen on Android isn't primary app listing, it's secondary so you have to populate it... where on iOS all icons and apps on the main screen by default.

Biggest difference I see is massive clock taking up half the home screen on S4... both already have that covered in the status bar... redundant.

Maybe for older people that can't focus on numerals that small...?

[​IMG]
    and
    [​IMG]
    vs.
    [​IMG]

16. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

I don't care much about the look. I think it's fine. And fat chance that Apple will change the UI much anytime soon. Look at Windows 8 adoption rates for the answer why.

What I would like to see is increased functionality. Let me access stuff like wifi, screen brightness, volume slider from the notification center. Stop sandboxing all the apps - allow them to play together more easily.

17. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Is there any hints out there or feelings here as to when we can expect iOS 7? I'm on my first iPhone so am not aware of the previous editions and patterns for when they were released relative to the phone releases.

I hope Apple are going for a major overhaul with the interface, as looking at the offerings coming out I would like to see more software features and short cuts for processes. I'm very happy with my iPhone and am enjoying its stability, and ease of use, but am also missing some of the Android features I left behind. Looking at some of the jailbreak tweaks on the threads here I think Apple can learn a lot from what people want. I haven't dared jailbreak my iPhone as I don't want to risk the warranty.

18. chrisrosemusic1 macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

Funny you posted this cos now I'm even more intrigued by the S4 - that screen looks hella sharp!

19. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

But Android has widgets. Widgets can't be boring. /s

20. Aragornii thread starter macrumors 6502

There's a lot of good points in this thread and I think Apple got iOS right the first time so there's not much need to change. It's more that as OS's evolve you expect to see evolutionary changes in appearance to keep them looking fresh. In the same way that Mountain Lion has some appearance differences from Tiger.

It would also be nice to see some changes to the Notifications pull down and perhaps what's presented on the home screen. The one and only thing I prefer about the look of Android vs. iOS is having some screen real estate set aside to time and weather. For me, if I'm just taking a quick glance at my phone and putting it back in my pocket, 90% of the time it's to check the time, stock prices, or weather. It would be good to have a default screen for that information.

21. emptysoul macrumors regular

Having recently switched from Android to WP8, I actually really like the MS approach to having good info easily accessible without resorting to widgets.

Very clever design.

22. clauzzz203 macrumors regular

What school did I go to, what hood I grew up in
    The why, the who, what, when, the where and the how
    'til I'm grabbing my hair and I'm tearing it out
    Cause they driving me crazy

Lyrics by Eminem. Should add
    iOS looking a little stale

23. irDigital0l Guest

There's tons of things about Android that make it more functional than iOS. Examples include Jellybean 4.2's notification center, photos app, default apps option, multi-user accounts.

The excuse that Apple can't make the UI better or add more useful features unlike iOS 6 is just stupid. I think Google is proving now with Android that you can make it pretty while making it functional.

Look at Android's notification center and then look at iOS's. Look at Google Now and look at Siri.

Just saying...

24. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

My post was not comparing the OS's. Nor was I saying iOS is better.

25. GBR macrumors 6502

Its not so much about redundancy or larger icons, its about making the home screen more useful. Where you can get basic info about weather, stocks, email, Facebook, etc without having to open an app at all. That is the primary reason I jailbroke my iPhone, now I can view the current and 5 day weather forecast just from my lock screen. Then, on my home screen I can toggle basic settings (brightness, wifi, etc) and view stocks without opening an app at all. iOS was great for teaching people in the beginning how to use a touchscreen phone, but now its common knowledge so things could definitely get more advanced and customizable. Some information should just be readily available, you should confine them only to inside an app.

That said, if Apple just comes out with a iPhone 5s with no real updates or changes to iOS with iOS7 I am going to have a real tough decision between a iPhone 5 or a HTC One...