iOS Maps - Flyover like in Apple advertisement?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Wallace, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Wallace macrumors member

Wallace

Does someone know how to activate the "automatic" flyover option in the iOS 6 Maps?

Like the they showed it in the Keynote: you go e.g. to the Empire State Building and it automatically "flies" around the building with this nice smooth animation. I can only do it manually by hand. :confused:

2. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

This was enabled in previous betas when you searched for a specific location it would automatically go into fly over. I have no idea how to do it now though, maybe there's a secret way.

3. pdutta2000 macrumors regular

This is hilarious. It was the one feature of the new Maps that I really wanted and I can't figure out how to use it. No upgrade for me on my other devices till Google releases a maps application. Glad I haven't "upgraded" my other devices to iOS 6.

4. Terial macrumors newbie

5. abrian24 macrumors newbie

You have to bookmark the supported locations and have the buildings button enabled. Once you select it from your bookmarks, it'll automatically do the Flyover animation.

* Make sure the buildings button is enabled before you select it from your bookmarks or it will not work.

** I noticed that the flyover animation goes off of how much you zoomed in on the location before you bookmarked it. So if you bookmark the location from a far view, it'll do the Flyover from that far distance. So make sure to zoom in close to the buildings before you bookmark it.

6. KeanosMagicHat, Sep 26, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2012

KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

Just tried this and it works brilliantly, thank you.

It's the 3-D button that you need activated, which turns into a buildings button in major cities, so as long as 3-D is selected before you hit the bookmark, it will work.

EDIT - As a tip, you do need to mess about a bit to get the desired zoom & viewing angle, but it's great it works as I had read it was merely a feature created for the initial demo.

7. Edslunch macrumors member

Imagine if they combine flyover with game controls to let you fly through the city by tilting your device