iOS Multiple User Idea

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mickbab, Jan 20, 2011.

1. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

Hi guys,

Seen a couple of posts around here suggesting support for multiple users on iOS, but doesn't seem to be much of an idea of how to implement it.

I think that this support could be a useful improvement to iOS, specifically on the iPad where the device might be sitting around the house and different family members might like access to their own personal content.

Could it be something as simple as this? When the device is unlocked, the options for which user profile to enter are presented, and the user simply chooses which one to access.

Just a thought I had, what do you guys think? (quick mockup attached)

Attached Files:

2. hockeyhammer macrumors regular

I like that, the only thing is if we get lockscreen widgets with ios5 then you wont be able to customize them individually. Great idea though.

3. mickbab thread starter macrumors 65816

mickbab

Ah yes, hadn't thought of that, thanks for your input.
    And now that you mention it, I suppose there would only be one lock screen wallpaper for all users as well. Though there is still the option to have customised home screen wallpapers.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Since iOS is only on iPhones and iPads and you posted this in the iPhone forum, I'll give my two cents.

I don't see the need to make iOS multi-user. Phones by their very nature and design, single user. As for the iPad, its in apple's best interest to make this single user as well, that way they can sell more iPads, i.e., multiple iPads in a given family.

5. Krandor macrumors 6502

For iPhone I agree.

For iPad, Apple may want that, but most families are not going to buy multiple iPads. Multi-user on the iPad would be good for many users.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed, but I don't think apple is going to add multi user ability and so the point is rather moot, in so far as families will need to cope with dealing with a single iPad or buy another.

7. myddrak macrumors newbie

No sale

You missed the 'or buy something else' option, as this is a deal breaker for me......

8. TheyCallMeSaint macrumors regular

You think there would be a JB feature to accommodate this, but I haven't really heard of one to date.

9. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

iPad & multi user would be good for business user; like field force.
    The configuration would be adopted per user. eg different email, calendar etc. Data might be shared. But my guess we will not see that because the units-sold might be impacted.

For the phone I don't see the need; which user should get the incoming call ? For developer it would make sense as you could try different versions while keeping the released version untouched. But that's more relevant for smaller companies.

10. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

But then people won't have an excuse to buy one for themselves ;)

11. DocNYz macrumors 6502a

DocNYz

Yeah I agree for the phone it doesn't really make sense but it is practically necessary for the iPad if you have friends, families, or ANY sort of confidential or private information. A lot of us talked about before the original iPad was even released because some low res photos made it look like the photo option at the lock screen might be a user option. Once we learned that was not the case I suggested things like having passcode protected folders so we could put apps like mail in there and let people borrow the pad without worrying they'll read out mail or change any settings or install any apps etc. If you agree either of these ideas are good PLEASE go to apple.com/feedback and send them in! They often listen (case in point being the HDMI out and tethering) and the more people to do ao the higher the chance it'll be an available feature in a future update!

As said by others above, this has prevented me and a lot of people from buying iPads and has driven many to look elsewhere.

I don't believe it's to sell more, one could say the same argument about laptops but clearly you can put multiple accounts on them. (Trolls: before you respond to that, consider the most expensive iPad when compared to the cheapest laptop)

12. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

for the iPhone it's dumb and no point. it's not common for people to share cell phones, so the feature would be useless.

as for the iPad, i think it's a great idea.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I could see multiple users being useful on an iPad, but not an iPhone.

14. monaarts macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think apple should just do a triple click to change user. Even if on the lock screen, triple click home button, click change user, click on you name. Now when the lock screen is back up you will see your lock widgets until user is changed again. ;-).

This way you could change user at any time. If someone was playing angry birds... Click click click - change users - user 1... DONE!!

15. DocNYz macrumors 6502a

DocNYz

That'd be awesome!

16. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

This is pretty much it. In the post-PC, computer-as-an-appliance world Apple is building, "computers" will be cheap enough that everyone gets their own. No need for multi-user.

And hey, even then, with 'the cloud' you would just access your stuff over the air anyway.

17. svenn macrumors 6502

What about skipping that 2nd screen in altogether?

Just slide, enter your secret code, and have it log in to the appropriate account.

Attached Files:

• ios2.png
      ios2.png
      File size:
      56.6 KB
      Views:
  18. monaarts macrumors 65816

Because it makes it alot easier to guess the password. ;-) You would now be trying to get one of two, three, or four passwords... Believe it or not, I bet that divides the amount of guesses needed by a whole number. ;-)

- Joe

19. monaarts, Mar 9, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2011

monaarts macrumors 65816

Click, Click, Click...

Attached Files:

20. fastuning macrumors member

21. Eric H macrumors newbie

I'd love to see multi-user capabilities. I own a small business, and have 10 employees with iPhones. Would love to be able to lock one "user" and admin that with apps and security settings that can't be changed, but allow them to use the other half of the space (another "user") as their personal phone. I could force the dozen or so apps we rely on on one user, and they could share contacts, music, email, bookmarks, etc, between users, but if they want to download HBO Go and a whole bunch of fart apps on their side they can, with their own iTunes account.

And if this already exists and I can't figure out where to find it, please feel free to slap me in the right diretion.

22. mangytimer macrumors newbie

iOS Multiple User Idea

I remember reading this article a while ago an I have finally found a solution for my situation. I just found Print n Share Pro on the app store http://mobile.eurosmartz.com/products/printnsharepro.html
    so my family can now hare the iPad but still have private access to their own files, emails,web browsing and bookmarks. After losing my job I am not about to fork out for a new iPad so this is a great compromise.

Attached Files: