iOS nicknames

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by vmachiel, Apr 4, 2012.

1. vmachiel macrumors 68000

You know, like os X is named Snow Leopard, Lion etc and android is Gingerbread, Honeycomb, Ice Cream Sandwich, iOS could use some nicknames per version. Any cool ideas?

2. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I'm glad they don't publicly call them by those names, too random. I do like how Android OS versions are named but I don't think Apple will start doing something that anytime soon.

Edit: I was reading some of the comments from the link and apparently most of them are named after ski resorts.

3. takeshi74 macrumors 601

The users don't pick the code names. They're used internally during development.

All of them are (Google).

4. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

5. vmachiel thread starter macrumors 68000

Nice find on the code names.

But i feel the should get public names. I know the os X started out as code names, but quickly became public names (from 10.2 i believe). So what i'm saying is: should the release have official names (not code names) instead of just the number. I kinda like the gingerbread and ice cream sandwich names, just as the big casts

6. borisiii macrumors 6502

I quite like the cat names for OS X but in general I feel there should be a pattern if you're going to give names like that. The Mac is on a sufficiently infrequent update cycle that I can learn 8 names over 10 years without too much trouble, but iOS updates come so fast I think it would soon become overcomplicated. Google is on to something with android though...

Cookie
    Donut
    Eclair
    Froyo
    Gingerbread
    Honeycomb
    Ice cream sandwich
    Jelly bean
    K L M N O P...

The current iOS system seems to work pretty well - you go up one major version number per year, with interim 'service pack' updates every few months, and the occasional bug fix/security update in between.

The disadvantage with a naming system is that you need to learn the names, and you can't tell the version number from the name. For example I know my iPhone and iPad are running iOS 5.1 - not too hard to remember - and I also know my work-issued HTC Desire S is running gingerbread (2.3), but only upon closer investigation do I find out that the full version is 2.3.5.00972b13

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Indeed.

(And it's even better than you think. It's actually only been 7 over the last 10 years INCLUDING Mountain Lion. We're only currently on the 6th since Jaguar.)

In fact, your point is so good that I wonder if when the Mac OS ramps up to a once-a-year schedule it may mean the end of Mac names after Mountain Lion.

8. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

It wouldn't make sense considering that most people update to the new iOS the moment it comes out.

9. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

I think you mean Cupcake. All named after desserts.

10. xnickitynickx macrumors regular

xnickitynickx

Because everyone knows, cookies aren't dessert. Lol :rolleyes:

11. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I seriously think the Android naming convention is really lame. But then naming OS's after cats isn't much better.

12. borisiii macrumors 6502

lol whatever, android wasn't really worth the time of day before version 2.0 :D

13. Egish macrumors member

A very nice ski resort too... Not far from me :)