iOS no better than Androit glitches

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kjmff5, Sep 24, 2014.

1. kjmff5 macrumors regular

I was wondering if someone could help me understand this.
    Android has a hard time releasing new OS because of all the different phones available, which makes it hard to create a software update.

Apple/iOS gets around that problem by making their own hardware. Why then are there always issues when a new iOS is released? For example, this latest iOS 8 update created issues with touch id and cell service on their newest phones. You would think "it just works" but it doesnt.

I think this, for the most part, relates to iOS. My Mac has done just well.

-consfused

2. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Name any OS major software update that has been released without any bugs?

Don't think I'll be holding my breath because you can't.

Windows, Android, OSX, iOS, PalmOS, BlackBerryOS, ChromeOS, etc. Every single one of them has had bugs when releasing a major update.

If anything iOS and OSX have a reputation of minimizing the amount of bugs or fixing them quickly.

3. Altimax98 macrumors 6502

Altimax98

As a great man once said:

"Screws fall out all the time, the world's an imperfect place" - Video Clip

4. cynics macrumors G4

People are beginning to see why Android was so buggy. Use the keyboard bugs Apple was dealing with in the now botched release of iOS 8.0.1 for example. Android dealt with those issues 5-6 years ago.

Same applies with device optimization especially in a native form plus all the new API's which is double that iOS 7 got. And on top of that devs using Swift programming language.

Thats why it appears Android is getting more stable and iOS is getting less stable (crash rate of 3.57% now with iOS 8 btw).

Also keep in mind Android's major updates have been 4.x updates since 2011. Its a solid OS that is being perfected at this point. Now, throw a manufacturer skin on it and everything goes out the window.

I think we will continue to see this trend for quite a while.

5. roberthodgson macrumors regular

Ios 8.0 may have some bugs as did 7.0 when it was first released, at least with Apple they release updates quickly when a major bug is found, Android not so much unless your are running a Nexus device but even then the updates are slower the iOS

6. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

More answers in the iOS sub forum than here.

Total mess this morning but thankful I have a 6 and 6+ for redundancy because the + glitched while the 6 took the update and worked. Seems Apple may have really been embarrassed by the Health thing not being fully functional and they pressed on an update to get it going?

----------

I don't remember a bug ever rendering such a swath of phones unusable cellular-wise.

7. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

This happened to Apple for the first time and I would like to believe it won't happen again. Up until now all iOS updates have been good.
    Android users should just think for a minute why they never had such issues...
    They never get any updates, that's why!

To end all this pointless discussion iOS vs Android, I think we have a great example on the computer space: Windows vs Mac. Android is Windows and Mac is iOS.
    Windows is being used by more than 90% of users, and the Mac has much less. Does that make the Mac worse? On the contrary...
    iOS has become the Mac of the mobile industry and that's ok. It is still better and will always be better than Windows/Android..

8. nyc999 macrumors regular

have you had enough kool aid?