Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DannyUfcfan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2023
I'm not sure how widespread this is, as I've seen a couple of posts on reddit but not seeing a thread on it here.

I've been trying to block some spam texts, but when I click on 'block this caller', it does not stay blocked. If I back out and click on the sender again, I still see 'block this contact' as an option.

And if I go to 'blocked contacts' in settings, no contacts are showing as blocked.

Any ideas for a fix? I've all the steps I could think of. It's looking like I'll have to download a 3rd part blocker or something.

I'm using a iphone pro max 12 and updated to software ios 17.2.1

Thanks for any help!

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
Probably the spam text was using an alphanumeric sender instead of a phone number. Those can somehow not be blocked AFAIK.

DannyUfcfan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2023
Probably the spam text was using an alphanumeric sender instead of a phone number. Those can somehow not be blocked AFAIK.
I did read this, but with my issue no numbers get blocked! Even ones where i know the sender. I tested it. It's like the feature is flat out not working. Got to be some bug.

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
What firmware version are you running? I'm on 17.2.1 and no prob.

Silly question, but have you rebooted?

therationalist

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2011
I am getting so many spam calls lately. Even if you block them, the scammers just get a new phone number. Yesterday I got one and they pretended to be my bank and were trying to get my personal info. When I googled the phone number on the caller ID, I found this https://whocall.co.uk/phone-number/08438869378. Certified Scam. I wish there was a way to block these type of unsolicited calls automatically.

Reactions: Chuckeee

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
I am getting so many spam calls lately. Even if you block them, the scammers just get a new phone number. Yesterday I got one and they pretended to be my bank and were trying to get my personal info. When I googled the phone number on the caller ID, I found this https://whocall.co.uk/phone-number/08438869378. Certified Scam. I wish there was a way to block these type of unsolicited calls automatically.

I don't get junk calls anymore on my personal phone, but I still do on my work phone. Been using Hiya on it for years, and it seems to knock out about 90% of them.

Last edited:

Billymac19

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2011
Phila, PA
I'm not sure how widespread this is, as I've seen a couple of posts on reddit but not seeing a thread on it here.

I've been trying to block some spam texts, but when I click on 'block this caller', it does not stay blocked. If I back out and click on the sender again, I still see 'block this contact' as an option.

And if I go to 'blocked contacts' in settings, no contacts are showing as blocked.

Any ideas for a fix? I've all the steps I could think of. It's looking like I'll have to download a 3rd part blocker or something.

I'm using a iphone pro max 12 and updated to software ios 17.2.1

Thanks for any help!
Hey, any updates my phone been doing this exact thing since update last week..let me know if you fixed somehow?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.