Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Inopia-Vi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Lost in space
Hi,
I just realized that iOS (the newest iteration) does not display the names of the chapters of a movie. I tested 2 different flicks, one bought from iTunes and one ripped from my own DVD. Both display the chapter numbers (the iTunes one have images at the left on my iPhone 4S and the ripped one behave the same way but without the image. It is normal that the names of the chapters are not displayed? My worries is that the new apple TV would not see the chapters correctly...:(

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Attachments

• photo 1.PNG
    photo 1.PNG
    344.8 KB · Views: 139
  • photo 2.PNG
    photo 2.PNG
    247.9 KB · Views: 121
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 152

macjammin

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2012
Apple Takes Away Features in IOS Updates

Apple appears to be getting sloppy and not paying attention to the details in their IOS updates. First they screwed up how music videos are supposed to be grouped by artist, then Audio titles (for multiple audio streams) in videos disappeared, and in the last update, chapter titles no longer appear. I'm glad to hear that you confirmed that this affects iTunes videos as well. When I called Apple's technical support about these issues, they hassled me about the origin of my videos and whether they met the mp4 standard. Of course, they were trying to shift the blame to me since they were clueless about the problem in the first place. And when I tell them that I posted this problem on their feedback website, they tell me that they haven't come across this problem before. And when I tell them that my old iPOD Touch with version 4.3.5 displays chapter & audio titles with no problem, they point again to whether my videos meet the technical specification for mp4. In other words, the folks at Apple are morons!!!

In my last attempt to get through to them, I sent an email to their CEO, Tim Cook, who's supposed to be responsive to email feedback and suggestions. I sent the email about a week and a half ago, and I still haven't heard back from him. If you want to give it a try, you can email him at tcook@apple.com.

By the way, I've come to learn that the new iPAD 3 doesn't show song lyrics. The programmers at Apple are unbelievably stupid.

----------

Apple appears to be getting sloppy and not paying attention to the details in their IOS updates. First they screwed up how music videos are supposed to be grouped by artist, then Audio titles (for multiple audio streams) in videos disappeared, and in the last update, chapter titles no longer appear. I'm glad to hear that you confirmed that this affects iTunes videos as well. When I called Apple's technical support about these issues, they hassled me about the origin of my videos and whether they met the mp4 standard. Of course, they were trying to shift the blame to me since they were clueless about the problem in the first place. And when I tell them that I posted this problem on their feedback website, they tell me that they haven't come across this problem before. And when I tell them that my old iPOD Touch with version 4.3.5 displays chapter & audio titles with no problem, they point again to whether my videos meet the technical specification for mp4. In other words, the folks at Apple are morons!!!

In my last attempt to get through to them, I sent an email to their CEO, Tim Cook, who's supposed to be responsive to email feedback and suggestions. I sent the email about a week and a half ago, and I still haven't heard back from him. If you want to give it a try, you can email him at tcook@apple.com.

By the way, I've come to learn that the new iPAD 3 doesn't show song lyrics. The programmers at Apple are unbelievably stupid.

macjammin

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2012
What IOS Version & What App?

Yeah, my old ipod touch w/IOS version 4.3.5 displays "them fine" too, but my 4G ipod touch w/IOS version 5.1 doesn't. It would be helpful if Old Smuggler gave us more details like:

What device are you talking about?
What IOS version does it have?
Are you using the native Video app.?
Where are your videos from (created with Handbrake, downloaded from iTunes, etc.)?

Last edited:

timtimmy73

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2012
Just updated my iPhone software to 5.1 . . . and found myself here :-/

Hi all,

This is my first post, but it is worthy as I'm also suffering from the same lousy problem as most of you guys and the more people who bring Apples attention to this the better.

I have my own podcast, and have strived to put as much info in it as possible, and it's the effort that people put into their podcasts that I think keeps people coming back. Details such as Track names and Artists is very important to the listener, the whole reason I bought a Mac was to be able to insert such info and make 'Enhanced Podcasts' within Garageband.

I thought I'd missed out the track names of my latest podcast, only to scroll back through all my Episodes to find they have all dissapeared.

If I'd of known after spending all that money and keeping upto date with updates wasn't going to be worthwhile, I'd of kept my laptop with the free Audacity program and continued that way.

I hope some resolution is bought to this, I would too send Tim Cook an e-mail, but I bet he's got enough complaints to deal with lately, I don't expect I'd get a reply.

Any new information please let us know,

Cheers,

Tim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.