iOS notifcations in Mavericks

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by anotherarunan, Jun 28, 2013.

1. anotherarunan macrumors 6502

Hi all

Havent heard much about this feature (if at all) since the Keynote but could someone clarify how this works?

At the keynote apple demo'd an iOS notifcation appearing in Mavericks as a notification...so if I get for e.g a Whatsapp message or a score alert in iOS - does this mean I would get the same notification on my macbook screen?

Would appreciate if someone could clarify if this is live? Or does it require a new iOS API to be built into the app?

2. blasto2236 macrumors 6502a

Notification Center for OS X was introduced last year with Mountain Lion. While I believe they've opened up SOME new API's in OS X, I don't think it means that every type of notification you get from iOS can come over to OS X. For instance, Whatsapp is probably out of the question unless there is an OS X version of the app also (I don't use it so I have no clue).

The main NC feature that was plugged during WWDC is the new ability to quick reply to certain notifications (iMessages, emails, etc)

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Don't think that is what was demoed at all.
    Safari can have websites (CNN, eBay) send notifications to your Mac, even if Safari is closed.

4. sflomenb macrumors 6502a

sflomenb

I'm pretty sure I remember him saying iOS notification in the keynote.

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

He says: "So if you have an app today, that sends push notifications to iOS devices, well now you can sign up to receive those notifications on your Mac as well, whether Safari is running or not."

He's talking about notifications through web sites in Safari.

38 minutes in.

6. cmChimera, Jun 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2013

cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

You're right, but the app will have to update for it. But yes, you will have the ability to subscribe to iOS notifications on your Mac.

Link

He does say whether Safari is running or not, so this may not work for games(though there is game center, so I don't see why not), or things that don't have a web presence.

7. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Where in the Keynote/Apple website does it say this?

From apple.com:

8. kftrainer macrumors regular

kftrainer

I am still unsure how to do this action based on the demo How do you fill out that push notification form once the initial action is started ?(title, body, button)

9. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

Yeah I posted what he said. The verge, and Engadget both report that Mavericks adds iOS notifications though. I also see very little reason to mention iOS if they aren't related. We'll see after the final release I guess.

10. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Then The Verge and Engadget got it wrong. It's websites only as Apple have stated on their site.

11. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you don't know any more than Engadget, Verge or anyone else knows. You could be right, but seeing as how this doesn't seem like something that would be very difficult to implement for any number of apps and you're not an Apple software engineer, I'll wait to see what happens.

12. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I'm not. However, I can read Apple's public and developer pages and it quite clearly states it's for websites only. Nothing in the software itself, Apple's site or any of the developer materials mention pushes from Apps.

13. cmChimera, Jun 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2013

cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

I'm not really assuming it takes actual pushes from Apps. If you're right, this simply needs to be an URL for either Mavericks or Safari to accept the push from. An app can set this up without making a full-fledged CNN.com.

14. Che Castro macrumors 603

i got the impression that if you get a cnn alert on your phone, you will also see it on your mac
    which ever push alert from whatever app

15. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

How about now?

16. activate macrumors regular

If the iOS-10.9 notification link exists, I would expect to see a setting in the respective notification settings to enable/disable these. Neither of them have shown up so far.

There is a working example though not a 'real' one of a website notification that I know off.

17. eyeronik1 macrumors newbie

However, in the keynote they clearly stated that IOS notifications can appear in Mountain Lion's notification center. Obviously, Apple scrubbed it from their website when it became clear it wouldn't be ready by launch.