iOS Notification Center Concept

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Bdebs, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Bdebs, Apr 19, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2014

Bdebs macrumors newbie

Hi all!

I've been visiting MacRumors (and the forums) habitually for the past six years or so, but never took it upon myself to register an account until now. So, hi, hello!

There are a few little things that I'd like to see changed about Notification Center in iOS. So, naturally, I took it upon myself to theorize what these changes could potentially look like.

This is a completely novice attempt at UI design, so I realize that there are probably some conceptual errors. That being said, creative criticism is welcome! ...and, if you think it's completely dumb, that's okay too. :p

To see the nice write-up I made, you can follow the link in my signature (I hope this follows forum rules).

1. I think that having a scrollable view of your day presented like so, with color coding based upon the calendar that the event belongs to, would provide a clearer view of your day than the current implementation. Scroll to the right to see the rest of your day. Currently, any swiping moves you between the Today, Notifications, and Missed views, so my proposal is that switching between those requires swiping from the edges.

If your day happens to be super jampacked with events, the height of each item would decrease to only the height required to display the event's title.

I also decreased the size of the date/title because the size of its current implementation is obnxiously large, and the "Missed" view is absolutely worthless, so I got rid of it.
    2. Just like how it is now, tap the notification to launch the application. However, I think it would be awesome if Apple opened up the door for devs to supply a notification with action buttons.

Here's my thinking: tap the arrow (>) to the right of the message to reveal the possible options (defined by the developer). I thought that a maximum of four icon buttons or a maximum of three text buttons would suffice. The images for the icons would be bundled inside of the application, just like the sound file that's assigned for the notification. Tapping the button launches the application and performs that action, which would essentially work like URL-schemes (think Launch Center Pro). To make the buttons disappear, tap outside of the field or tap the arrow to the right.

Developers would not have the option of differentiating between notifications for what options to present for a single application. What I mean by this is that one notification can't have those controls displayed, and another not display them or have different controls. Either all notifications for a single application display controls, or all notifications don't display any.
    3. I like to think that I'm pretty good about controlling the number of applications that I allow to send notifications, but I still end up with a a boatload chilling in my Notification Center. It gets messy, even when I limit each application to only displaying five.

Easy fix! Group multiple notifications together into a single item. To see all of the notifications ("all" as in the maximum that the user specifies, so five or ten given the current options that Apple provides), tap on the item, and the notifications expand downward. The items group back together upon exiting Notification Center, although most people would probably just clear them all or pick one to deal with.

In addition, as you can see, each item can be manipulated independently with the controls that are accessed by tapping the arrow (>). If you pay attention to the Facebook notification, you'll see an example of what a notification looks like if the developer doesn't offer notification controls (AKA what it's like for the current implementation of Notification Center).
    4. This one is kind of coming from out there and might be perceivably dumb, but oh well. One thing that seems to come up a lot about what's lacking in iOS is widget support. While I think full-blown widgets thrown somewhere like Notification Center would be the bee's kness, I don't see that happening any time soon. However, I think I may have come up with an alternative that can be substituted in most instances that I'm sure Apple would be more willing to implement.

Allow developers to leverage a second type of push notification, which could essentially be called a "widget" notification. Instead of alerting the user audibly or with a message on the screen, it just updates the notification within Notification Center. Let's say you have an RSS app that uses Background App Refresh every 30 minutes or so to keep up to date. The widget in Notification Center can be updated during those refreshes to show the latest headlines (up to a maximum, of course).

Just like standard notifications, these widget notifications can contain controls that will take you into the app to perform an action.

What happens if you clear the widget from Notification Center? It reppears the next time the application refreshes and sends a notification.

Additionally, widget notifications would be clumped together into a single, scrollable bundle.

I realize this would only work for a small subset of widgets, but I think it's a nice middleground.

Attached Files:

2. eddiec312 macrumors 6502

eddiec312

Wow that's amazing. I love how it handles emails. You can reply, flag it, and it even trash right from the NC.

Have you thought about making these into Jailbreak app?

3. Bdebs thread starter macrumors newbie

eddiec312, I have nowhere near the coding know-how to do that, but I'd love to see it come to fruition if a developer wanted to put the effort into it. Or, ya know, Apple could do it. :rolleyes:

4. joshisaboss macrumors member

joshisaboss

That looks really nice, especially the mail settings in NC.

5. cobbyco macrumors 6502a

cobbyco

Amazing work. Post it on /r/jailbreak as a request and maybe you could work with a tweak developer to bring it to reality!

6. BillyMatt87 macrumors 6502a

How about bringing back "Tap to Tweet" and "Post to FaceBook" as well as a button to create an iMessage (a la Mavericks)?

The Weather info should be less text and more visual (a la iOS 6) and the Stock and Calendar info should be streamlined so it takes up less space.

7. timothybrabant macrumors newbie

Instead of the arrow on nc notifications, how about a swipe gesture?
    Love your concept though!

8. coleblk macrumors regular

Amazing! I could see that tab being used for Messages in order to quick reply