iOS & OS X UI uniformity

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by tjgonzo, Sep 25, 2013.

1. tjgonzo macrumors member

tjgonzo

I am not here to start a war on whether people like or dislike iOS 7's style, I would simply like people's opinion on how drastically different iOS is from OS X now. Previous releases have kept a consistent "theme" across the board. Do you think Apple is going to move there desktop operating system to match in the future?

2. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Personally I hope they bring a little more consistency between the two. I love iOS 7 and the old aqua-themed interfaces around OS X are starting to look really dated. Plus the fact that they don't look the same is really bugging my OCD.

3. MeUnix macrumors 6502

I can see the interface of OS X changing slightly to match iOS's new style a little better. However, I do not think it will be anything as drastic as iOS6 to iOS7, for example.

4. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Same here. The OCD in me wants OS X to look like iOS 7 now as well. Just make it happen Apple. OS X 10.10.

5. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

I'd sort of like the icons to be more consistent also wouldn't mind if the shared apps got a more uniform look like game center, messages, mail, reminders, etc...

6. Cougarcat, Sep 25, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2013

Cougarcat macrumors 604

The iOS 7 UI is designed for retina (despite the existence of of the non-retina mini.) There's too many thin lines in the iOS 7 interface that I don't think would work well on non-retina Macs.

I think (hope?) that the few vestiges of Aqua that are left, though, are on their way out. I wouldn't be surprised if 10.10 looks largely the same, but has new buttons, progress bars, and chat bubbles. But a full redesign I don't expect anytime soon.

7. coldjeanzzz macrumors 6502a

Why should OS X conform to mediocrity just for the sake of uniformity?

8. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

I'd like to see them remove gloss from the current UI elements for the Mavericks final release.

9. Tar Sniffer macrumors 6502

OS X users shouldn't have to suffer because of other people's bad taste and OCD. Get medicated if it bothers you.

10. tjgonzo thread starter macrumors member

tjgonzo

Very cool! Did you make those yourself?

11. Carl Sagan macrumors 6502a

Carl Sagan

I think it'd be great if OS X was radically shifted to look like iOS 7.

12. pedrofan macrumors 6502

No, I just made my own selection of icons. You can find all of them in google but not toghether.
    Finder icon is mavericks logo instead of an ugly face for example #

13. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

The trash can looks funny but I know that's the same icon used in iOS 7. :p

But wow, that really looks beautiful. I love the simplicity of it all. At least to me anyway, those iOS 7 icons fit just perfectly. I really like the simple OS X icon for Finder, as well as the Downloads icon. And maybe it's grown on me since I've been using iOS 7, but the Safari icon actually looks really good there.

As for photos, assuming OS X get it's own basic photo storage app, I doubt that iPhoto will get the same icon, since there is also an iOS version to consider.

By the way, what app is that icon with the waterdrop?

14. Avalon74 macrumors member

This is not a reason to change a UI. iOS7's UI changes were a solution to a problem that didnt exist.

This.

Also this.

iOS7 is filled with horrible UI design which should never transfer to OS X.

15. gamesetmatch macrumors regular

gamesetmatch

Frankly speaking, I don't see Apple developers changing Mavericks' interface so drastically to match iOS 7's simplistic and minimalistic look, given that the former is just around the corner. Maybe in a couple of years.

^MPY.

16. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Wow that UI looks great... Nice work Pedro.

I hope Apple doesn't bring the two closer together simply because the calendar now stinks in iOS 7 and I would hate for them to botch the desktop version. I know I know... They can't possibly botch a calendar on a big screen but after seeing what they did in 7, any things possible.

Aside from that, I think the desktop being so powerful is capable of more should they do a UI overhaul. If everything is the same, it kind of loses its appeal for me anyway.

17. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

When you click that "Quit" app in the dock, does it quit the current application? If so, that's really cool!

18. Dr. McKay macrumors 6502a

Hear, hear !

19. Xe89 macrumors regular

Urgh... OS X is fine the way it is. It's simple, grey and easy to use. I like "flat" interfaces when it is done right, like on Windows Phone. Yes, say what you want about Windows Phone's lack of apps etc. but they got the design right. But flat does not in itself equals easy and well designed. iOS 7 is an over designed mess. They hide behind market speak like "content over chrome". Thing is they just replaced the "skeumorphism" with other distracting elements like Vista-esque glass and weird animations.

20. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

They need to bring back the "dislike" button just for posts like this.

21. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Careful what you guys wish for. The first "casualties" from iOS7 are starting to roll in:

Screen-Shot-2013-09-18-at-7.06.04-AM.png

I hope Apple's legal department is standing by.

22. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

It's apparently an app which name is "Quit".

23. Carl Sagan macrumors 6502a

Carl Sagan

Don't see what the big deal is, iOS 7 is sublime and would work exceptionally well as a desktop operating system. Bring it on I say, one OS to rule them all!

24. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

It's just people afraid of change. iOS 7 is chugging ahead at full speed. Already over 50% of iOS users are now on it. There's really only two choices: accept it or move on.