iOS & OSX Mail

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Pagemakers, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Pagemakers macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

In Mac Mail I have a rule to move all emails with the subject "Bugs" to an email folder called "Bugs". It works fine.

However, I have just setup my iPhone to work with the same email account. If I read the email via my iPhone first, when the email arrives on my Mac, the email just stays in the inbox and does not get moved to the bugs folder.

Is that how it is supposed to work?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes, unfortunately.

You might have better luck setting up a server side rule from icloud.com in Mail and click on the settings gear. You can add a rule there that will move your bug mails to a folder. That should work on a all devices.

3. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

Problem is it's not iCloud mail. It's just a regular email account off our own server....

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Ahh... I wonder if you would have better luck setting up a "Smart Mailbox" or "Smart Mailbox Folder" in Mail. I know rules run as the messages comes in new and by your reading them on iOS they aren't new any longer so the rules is not running. I think a smart mailbox might get around that for you.

5. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

Ahhh I see it works on new messages but not read ones. Hmmm I used to copy all emails to by iPhone as well but I thought that was a messy way of doing things, but this just seems as bad!!

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can also manually run your rules by selecting that option under the Mail messages menu. That would move them all too.

7. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

8. JoltinJoe macrumors member

I have a similar problem. If Mail organizes the new messages using the rules and puts it in the folder, it never comes to my iPhone. Any solution to that?