iOS performance vs OS X performance

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by laudern, Oct 20, 2014.

1. laudern macrumors 6502a

Why is that if you have a 2-3 year old iOS device and you update to the latest OS you take a massive performance hit. While on the other hand, if you have a fairly old mac, it can be updated to the latest OS with little to no performance problems.

Case in point. I have a Late 2009 macbook, 4gig ram, 320gb HDD and have just updated to OS x 10.10 and it is still responsive and fast. Yeah sure it might be a little bit slower than what it was with SL, but really, it is still fast.

Then you look at things such as iPhones and iPads, 2 years old and they are bricks if updated to the latest iOS.Sure new features are added that "slow down" old hardware, I get that. But new features are added to OS X and the slow down issue isn't anywhere near the same level.

It really is just frustrating when you are considering buying an iOS device and decided on whether to get a massive 64gb/128gb machine and saying you will keep it for many years. When in reality, if you like having the latest iOS running, that really isn't a viable option...

2. Buddygor macrumors regular

Because desktop computers are much more 'future proof,' as they're build on tech that stays relatively the same year-to-year, whereas mobile chips are always evolving at a much faster rate.

You get maybe a 20% improvement on new Intel CPUs or Nvidia GPUs, but on mobile chips, you usually see taglines like '50% faster CPU and 80% faster GPU!'

So in a year, your iPad might be 80% slower than the new one, whereas your Mac might need 4-5 years to get to that point.

3. Paradoxally macrumors 68000

Yes, what Buddygor said, and because people upgrade their iDevices at a much faster rate than a Mac.

4. MisakixMikasa macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

As mobile SOC continues to evolving, soon SOCs will gets to the point performance won't doubling every year and more future proof. It will be like desktop situation as SOCs gets more powerful and software could not keep up in peace of hardware advancement.

5. cynics macrumors G4

Perception.

My 4S feels perfectly fine with bit of lag here and there to me. Using a 6 makes it feel incredibly slow.

Just like if I were to use your Mac it would feel incredibly slow compared to mine.