All iPads iOS Photos app vs OS X Photos app

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iRaynor SK, Apr 1, 2016.

1. iRaynor SK macrumors regular

iRaynor SK

Hello,

my problem is about automatic renaming photo files on iOS. On Mac, when I want to rename my photos filenames to "YEAR-MONTH-DAY-ALBUM.jpg", I can simple use batch renamer which can work with EXIF datas or even rename manually. Here is what I mean:

Screenshot 2016-04-02 05.52.09.jpg

Name of file is "Lietadlo na ploche 9.jpg" (written in Slovak). On Mac, I can simply rename file to "YEAR-MONTH-DAY-ALBUM.jpg", but on iOS not. Everytime, when I copy photo to my iPad's Library, it renames photo like "IMG_8584.jpg". The same when I use SD Card Reader Adapter while transfering photos from my camera to iPad. I just want to have same file name schema, whether I work with Mac or iPad. I'm just perfectionist.

Thanks.

2. AliMacs macrumors 6502

There is no batch tool to edit the file names but you can use any file management app to do the same thing albeit manually. Good reader, filebrowser, PDF Expert, Documents app can all do renaming of images in your camera roll/albums folders.

3. iRaynor SK, Apr 1, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2016

iRaynor SK thread starter macrumors regular

iRaynor SK

I tried it, but when I copy renamed photo to iPads library, it renames it back to something like "IMG_9884.jpg" :-(
    --- Post Merged, Apr 1, 2016 ---
    Or plugin for Photos on Mac which can auto rename (in library itself) "IMG_5848.jpg" to "YEAR-MONTH-DAY-ALBUM.jpg" based on metadata everytime I run Photos on Mac?

Or Automator script?

4. Cascades42 macrumors 6502

If you save things to the iOS Camera Roll it will give it a name based on its file naming system. My suggestion is to use Workflow to batch rename things and upload them to a service or open them in an app to preserve the file name.